Yet another nest box question.....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by leight54, Jun 12, 2011.

1. leight54

leight54 Chillin' With My Peeps

What is the recommended height of the entrance to the nest box? I'm planning to mount my nest box on the wall, under an existing shelf. The shelf will actually become the poop board for a roost, but extends far enough out to act as a "roof" to the nest box. I want to mount the box as close under the shelf as possible, so as not to lose the floor space beneath it. (Does this make sense?)

So again, what's the minimum height the hens can comfortably hop through to the nest [​IMG]? The entrance will be about 12-15 inches off the ground. (Chantecler and Ameraucana.)

2. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Mine are 18 inches off the floor, no problems for my birds. You will be fine with 12-15.

3. leight54

How big should the opening be? I mean from the bottom lip of the nestbox to it's "ceiling". Do chickens "squeeze" into nest boxes, or do they prefer to walk in, upright?

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

The height off the floor is not critical but, just like the roosts,the birds should not have to jump a long ways as they can hurt themselves (wings and legs) if they are big heavy hens in a confined area.

My hens really like a walkway in front of the nests so they can pick their nest and aren't trying to jump in a nest that is occupied, this avoids the risk of a chicken falling and again possibly getting hurt. I went so far as a ramp and a walkway to access the top row of nests due to their height, If you can, paint the boxes and walkway (I wish I had) they will be much easier to clean too

5. Cosmopolis Chick

Cosmopolis Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Grays Harbor
    Quote:I understand what you mean. Ideally they should have 15-18" to
    walk or jump through for full-sized hens. Will that leave you 18 or
    more inches underneath the nest box? (36+" to the shelf?)

6. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Quote:I understand what you mean. Ideally they should have 15-18" to
    walk or jump through for full-sized hens. Will that leave you 18 or
    more inches underneath the nest box? (36+" to the shelf?)

Ok, now I get ya. Yes, give them some room to move in comfortably and if you look on my page you can see an access perch in front of the boxes so they have a chance to see what's occupied without jumping right in.

7. leight54

Thanks! Yeah, I wasn't really clear on my description. The nest box is a wooden crate ($5 with Michael's coupon. Or is that "coop-on", haha I kill me....)

Anyway, the crate will be upright (open on top) with the top 2 slats knocked out on one side, to lower the edge. I put a plastic dishpan down inside. So there is no top, but the shelf above will serve as the top of the box. So I needed to know how close up under the shelf I can mount the crate, so there's still enough room for the hen to get in comfortably. Guess here's where a picture would help, sorry!

You've answered my question though, so thank you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by