Yet another newbie!

IRNHIDE

Chirping
Apr 17, 2017
NW Arkansas
Hello everyone,

We got 7 chicks last week all pullets but we will see. 3 barred rocks, 2 ameraucanas, and 2 Rhode Island Reds. Doing lots of research, I always a ton with new hobbies. My grandpa has raised chickens for years on his farm in Altoona, Iowa. It's a small farm and this chickens he just has for fun about a hundred I think. We now for almost 2 years live in Northwest Arkansas and for the first time have enough space for a few backyard chickens. In the reading I have done so far there is a phrase I have come across that I am still not quite sure I understand the meaning yet. What does everyone mean by chicken math? Is this like when planned on getting 4 chickens and came home with 7, make sure you don't get more chickens than you have room for, or is it something else? Thank you all for this awesome site! I have learned so much here already and can't wait for all the fun ahead! I'll try and post some pictures of the chicks tomorrow. One of the barred rocks is a couple weeks older than the rest I think. We bought them from Orschlen's and I didn't think to ask when that hatched (not that they would have known for sure.)

Chicken math pretty much means, you come up with reasons for having more and more chickens. We are all enablers here, so will never say you have too many. Some basic chicken math holds= get a roo(ster) replace with two(hens) , bantam breeds only count as a 1/2 chicken. Chicks don't count at all .
welcome-byc.gif

Greetings from Kansas, IRNHIDE, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Yes, chicken math is something lots of BYCers experience. I started off with the idea a few years ago to get "a few" chickens to eat....that mushroomed into about 25 laying hens, some ducks, geese, guinea fowl, turkeys, and now pigs!!
barnie.gif
But I wouldn't have it any other way! I sometimes get my chicks at my local Orscheln's as well - I like that store.
If you'd like to chat with some fellow AR poultry folks, find your state thread in the link below and say howdy: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!
woot.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd say D/Diva said it in a nutshell (but I don't count pullets that have not begun to lay either
big_smile.png
)

Best wishes
CT

G’Day from down under IRNHIDE
frow.gif
Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Here are a couple pics of our chicks taken on 4/17 I am finally uploading them. As you can see we bought one that was bigger from the feed store. She was discounted to 50 cents so they could get rid of the ones that were getting big. So of course the DW named her 50 cent.

Here are a couple pics of our chicks taken on 4/17 I am finally uploading them. As you can see we bought one that was bigger from the feed store. She was discounted to 50 cents so they could get rid of the ones that were getting big. So of course the DW named her 50 cent.

Beautiful pictures! They are so adorable!

Beautiful pictures!  They are so adorable!

Thanks we think so too! The black ameracauna has some pure white feathers that have started to come in and she looks so beautiful! I will try and post some current pictures this weekend. Hopefully not blurry ones ;)

Back
Top Bottom