Yet another pasty butt question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gmabry75, Feb 2, 2013.

1. gmabry75

gmabry75 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Brandon, MS
    My wife and 15 yr old daughter asked me a question that I couldn't answer last night. just not acceptable :) How long is pasty butt a concern? Have added ACV to their water starting yesterday. They are 4 days old today. This is our first experience with chickens.

Also, what does normal chick poo look like. Some looks fairly dry and pops right out and some not so dry and just kinda sits there. Anyway everybody else has abandoned me, so it's just me cleaning the fluffy butts. Thanks, Greg

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Be sure they aren't too warm, and have room to get away from the heat if they want. Those recommended temps may be warmer than they like. I don't think mine had it for more than 3 or 4 days. It can be due to constipation. You might need to set the waterer up on a brick or the like to lessen the amount of litter they kick into it. You can also add just a little bit of molasses to the water once or twice, maybe a Tbsp to a gallon.

Normal chick poo varies a lot, can be runny or more solid, can even include sloughed intestinal lining so it can look a bit bloody. If they seem active and content, don't worry about it.

3. gmabry75

gmabry75 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Brandon, MS
    The brooder is 4 by 8 with heat lamp in one end, so that should be fine. They are all active, so I will just keep an eye on them and clean as needed. Thanks, Greg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by