Yet another Poop question...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chilisweet, Jul 26, 2008.

1. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    So we have filled a small bucket with poop. What do we do with it now? We don't really have a compost pile, it's more like a tree branch and grass pile. How long do we have to wait to add it to the garden? My veggies really need some extra chicken lovin'!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

~Caran

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    it has to rot for quite a few months before you put it on your plants, otherwise it will burn your plants. I'm not sure how long, I just know it's several months. Maybe 6 to 12??? LOL, I'm not sure!!!

3. chilisweet

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    so you think we should add it to our sorta compost pile and let is rot? Should we DE it to death? I'm just concerned it will smell, and I know the neighbors would like that a bit!

[​IMG]

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Dig a hole (in your garden, or where you want to plant) and bury it. The soil you put back on top will cover up the smell. I would mix some dirt in with it before you cover it back up (to help with the decomposition. Then, next time, bury it a foot away. that way, you'll have a long row of decomposed manure for next spring that you can plant in.

Personally I wouldn't put it in a bucket because it won't decompose nearly as fast and it will smell. If it's in the sun, it dries up in a day or two and the smell goes away.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  5. chilisweet

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Thank you! We can do that! Most of the poo is dried to begin with, so that won't be too bad.

Will oppossums dig up the poo? Or cats?

~Caran

6. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I doubt it. The soil covers up the smell, although they might be attracted to fresh soft soil. Bury it deep enough so there's like 6 inches of soil above and tamp it down well. That should do it. In my experience (I bury kitchen compost every week) no animal digs it up, but I don't know what your area would be like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by