Yet another problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ThatOneFarmGirl786, Jul 12, 2019 at 11:53 AM.

1. ThatOneFarmGirl786

ThatOneFarmGirl786 Chirping

Jul 2, 2019
    So, since we raised our ducks in our city home, we are moving them to our farm. With our 15 chickens and 2 roosters. How do I introduce them properly? More importantly, I have to have them on separate feeds since the ducks aren't supposed to intake too mu h calcium like the chickens. How do I keep them separate? Only when they eat though. Hopefully the introduction goes well. Could I just move the chickens to what I feed the ducks and give them scratch feed on the side? We don't live at our farm so, not sure how we could work all that out. Should the ducks and chickens sleep together? We have a male and female duck. We are finally building our huge chicken coop that we hope to integrate the ducks and chickens in together. Our bunnies will finally have their own space. None of our animals have seen the new coop yet so it's unfamiliar territory for them. Since we only have two ducks, should we let them see it first or no? Thanks.

2. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
  3. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    As for feed, everyone can have the duck feed, just make sure to provide oyster shell in a separate container so the girls who need it can get to it. Scratch is just a treat so always provide it sparingly.

As for integration, I like the look don't touch method. Hopefully there's enough room for the ducks to get away from the chickens when they want to. My ducks and chickens have lived together along with the turkeys. They have separate houses and often use them as designed but they're also big into sleep overs. We've nights where all the ducks moved in with the chickens and everything was fine. They do need a place on the floor to sleep that is not under the roosts.

4. ThatOneFarmGirl786

Jul 2, 2019
    My duck pooped on me :barnieand i noticed that his poop was very watery, should I be worried? I still love him:love

5. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    How long has he been on the new feed? Likely I wouldn't be concerned just yet.

6. ThatOneFarmGirl786

Jul 2, 2019
    Honestly, they've been on the new feed for about 2 days.

7. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Then I wouldn't worry just yet. That sometimes happens when you change feed. Do keep an eye on it best you can. If it persists, get pictures of it and we'll see if our poop inspector will give it a look.

8. ThatOneFarmGirl786

Jul 2, 2019
    Any advice for the introduction?

WannaBeHillBilly and rjohns39 like this.
  9. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
  10. Duckworth

Duckworth Songster

May 15, 2017
    U.S. Prairie
    We introduce birds to each other by putting them in an area right next to each other so that they can see each other and start getting to know each other, but not be in direct contact with each other yet. We call this a “look—don’t touch” setup. I usually put the new birds in a large wire dog crate inside in a corner of the pen with the other birds, so that they can see, hear, and smell each other, but if any bullying starts, the new birds can retreat to the corner and the old birds can back away. You can accomplish the same thing by putting a length of chicken wire across a section of the run or using anything that is see-through, but doesn’t let them mix in until you think they are ready and can supervise.

How is your male duck doing? Is he at least not going further downhill?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: