Yet another question about moving my flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tyjaco, Aug 20, 2011.

1. tyjaco

tyjaco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    I will be moving my flock on Monday morning. I intend to 'catch' them after dark on Sunday night, put them into large dog crates (2 in each), with bedding, food and water. Let them sleep there Sunday night, then leave for the new place on Monday morning. The trip is about 2 1/2 hours, the weather will be in the lower 70s during the drive.

My question is this: During the 2 1/2 hours on the road, will they be drinking or eating anything? I can't imagine it. But if they need water during that time - I'd like them to have it. Is there a way I can provide water for them in the crates for this trip? How could I rig something that wont spill? I was thinking of getting 2 rigid plastic cups and with a couple of small holes drilled at the top, I could wire them to the crate side. Is it necessary? Would a chicken even stick her head into a cup to drink? (they don't know how to drink ourt of a rabbit waterer).

I'm very excited as I understand our new neighborhood is almost void of preditors (I will still excercise the same cautions), but hey! It's quite a difference from where I am now - with the usual raccoons, hawks, skunks, opposums, dogs...

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, what and adventure moving with your chickens!

I would say that 2 1/2 hours in the 70's they should be just fine. I purchased a few when it was in the 90's and drove an hour with them and they were fine. I did have a bit of ac going though [​IMG]

If you are worriend maybe give them some watermelon to pick at. It will keep them occupied and give them some hydration.

Good luck with your move [​IMG]

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    If you stop along the way to get gas or something I would maybe put a lil bowl of water in their crate for them to get a drink if they want one and then take it out when you start again, but other then that they don’t have to have any water when they are on the move and I wouldn’t even bother with food until you get to where you are going, just make sure that you unload them as soon as you get to your destination and give them plenty of food and water.

4. tyjaco

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    Sounds good...I like the watermellon idea! and YES - quite an adventure! I talked to them yesterday to let them know what's going on, and they are all for it - except Betty. She's my white Leghorn. she said, "catch me if you can! I dare you!" That's why I have to do it after dark. She's a little scrambler. I haven't been able to touch her for a year and a half! Everybody else I can pick up pretty easily, but not her...[​IMG]

5. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad you like the idea and hope Betty changes her tune or she may have quite the journey to find all her family on foot!

6. tyjaco

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    LOL..
    I'll put the soup pot next to the coop!

7. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    I moved from Mi in Oct. to Ga. It was quite the journey. I had about 50 chickens I moved in a uhaul trailer They were in large dog crates. I would pull over every couple of hours check on them. I would put water in a bucket and let everyone drink They made the journey just fine and did not lose one. That was over a 700 mile trip![​IMG] Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by