Yet Another Recessive White Question (with Pics)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Coopa Cabana, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    This is one of my Golden Laced Bantam Cochin chicks at 35 days old. Really!! I got the sire and dam from a Master Breeder of GL's. When I contacted her about the white showing up, she said whites were used several generations back to improve type, and it occasionally shows up.
    So I have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to yet reading thru the recessive white threads:

1) I believe that GLs are sex-linked - would that tell me anything about whether the gene was passed from the sire or dam?

2) Can I still use him in my GL breeding program - all I have at the present is the sire and dam, and a bunch of his siblings. So either back to the dam or one of his sisters - would either be better? (I have no un-related GL's.)

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanx!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Unless the white molts out to the correct colour, I do not think he would be useful for gold laced breeding.

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I dont understand how she bred white into it and improved type and it still shows up out of a pure gold laced cochin. I would think there are a few whites or white mixed still in her pens. But me and genetics dont get along so [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Your White is a Boy FYI Who did you get them from? That pullet looks great!

5. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Songster

May 17, 2010
    You can still breed him. He'll improve type!

6. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
  7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA

8. catwalk

catwalk Songster

May 19, 2009
    Recessive white, in heterozygous form, is indetectable. In homozygous form, would give you an all white bird. You have something else going on there. It doesn't really look like mottling, but maybe?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    That extra white reminds me of how the mille cochins look when they are that age. They first moult out with big patches of white. Their heads, backs, and splotches on their breasts are often pure, blazing white, but it usually is replaced by normal colored feathers after a moult or two. If it eventually moults out to a correct color, I'd go ahead and use it. If it retains white splotches with adult plumage, I would not use it for breeding.

10. wclawrence

wclawrence Songster

I have to agree that you do not have recessive white. You have something else. You may want to hold on to him to see what he looks like as an adult. But I would not use him to breed, if you want to breed the same color as his parents. Maybe to make a different color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by