Yet another Roo or Hen Question

mfstainer

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
Hi All,

I have 3 barred rocks (and 7 other Pekin/Frizzle Bathams) which we've had since the beginning of April when they were aprox 3-4 weeks old. When we got them I had some concerns they were male, but it didnt seem clear cut and since the Roos of our other chickens all started crowing by about 10 weeks and our rocks didn't, we just assumed they were female. Now they're 22-24 weeks, not laying, not crowing but to me they look male, quite clearly. But we sent the picture to the lady we got them from and she says the front one is suspect but the other two look like hens. Now as she breeds chickens I'm completely doubting myself. I would love to know what your opinions are. Thanks

frow.gif
Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
I think you have 3 hens, ready to lay soon. If they were male they would be lighter, the sickle and saddle feathers would be present, and they would have larger wattle and combs. Hang in there, and update us in a few weeks. I'm pretty sure you'll have eggs soon.

Lovely, I thought only the males had tails that drooped down. How I love being proved wrong!

I'm going to guess that the one in back of the first photo is a male. I think that I see pointy hackle feathers (but it could just be the barring making it look that way). I'm also not sure on the one in front of the first photo. I think that the middle bird in the first photo is a female, though.

Its hard to tell from photos. Could you go take a look at their top neck feathers and tell if they are really skinny and pointy at the end, or if they are rounded?

Everybody else has said all pullets, which makes me think that I'm probably wrong. I'm just getting the feeling that at least the bird in the back of the first photo is a male.

My concern, is I never seen hens with tails this long. Let me put some photos that show them better.

My concern, is I never seen hens with tails this long. Let me put some photos that show them better.

The bird in front is a rooster. The one next to it (closer to the wire fence) also looks like one.

Rooster in the middle.

Rooster.
Rooster.

Back
Top Bottom