Yet another roo question!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bec, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Ok...so I was reading the thread below about picking a roo that isn't too big for your hens (standards included). Is a Cochin roo too big for Orpington girls??

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Orpingtons are a full bodied chicken. They should be fine. Can I ask why not an orpington roo if you have orpington layers?

3. Bec

Sure! I won't be incubating any eggs for babies or letting the girls hatch any, so I wanted to pick a roo that was different in color. That's all!! I have 7 Buff Orps and just wanted something a little different.

4. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Can someone tell me or point me in the right direction for trimming spurs? John

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you do a search there are several discussion of it here.

Some use a hot potato to loosen the outer hard 'nail' and then twist them off with a plier. You have to be careful and have some stop bleed (OR FLOUR OR CORNSTARCH) on hand because sometimes you can cause a real gusher when you take the spurs off. Just remember when you take them off, they do grow back -just like your fingernails.

6. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Thanks for getting back to me. I did quite a few searches on google using different terms and bingo I found a whole page full. Thanks again. John

7. Bec

Ok, Back to roos and size issues....
    I placed an order at the local feed store for a partridge cochin roo. They wont place the order until March, so it will be a little bit before I get him. I just want to make sure that he is good size for them and has a good temperment.

Do you think this is a good choice? I have 7 orp hens, 2 children and dogs. Do you think that breed will do well personality wise?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by