Yet another silkie question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by desertgirl, Apr 7, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Got my two silkies. The breeder says that porcelains are always female, and the blue could be either male or female, but even if it is a roo it won't crow.Two questions;I think he said he bred a male and female porcelain to get the porcelain, so evidently they aren't always female. Also- I guess silkie roos don't crow?

Anyone have any info about this?

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Well he's feeding you wrong info. Porcelain is not a sexlinked color, and are these d'uccles or Silkies? Silkies come in self blue, but I've never seen one in porcelain. Silkie roosters do crow, maybe not as often but they do.

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Silkie roosters do crow, but I think quality and breed lines plays a big part in that. I have hatchery silkies and they crow as much as any other rooster. I'm sure that good quality roosters would take longer to mature thus taking longer to crow. Would be interesting to hear what other people say..

4. wanda047

wanda047 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    My buff silkie roo starts crowing about midnight, crows all night long, and often during the day. He's so funny [​IMG] What's really funny though is that presently he's living in the house until I get his coop finished and predator proof. His crowing keeps us all awake, but we don't care. [​IMG]

5. HatTrickSilkies

HatTrickSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    Eastern PA
    Quote:Perhaps you misunderstood the breeder. If you have a silkie rooster that does not crow, you can bet the farm you have a non-functional rooster who will also not breed.

Good Luck,
    ~ Nikki

6. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    I didn't want a roo at all! Can not and will not have a crower (I work nights, DH works days..we both need to sleep!!!!), and not interested in breeding. When I mentioned this, he told me that silkies roos don't crow. If he does, I will have a very adoreable silkie roo free to a good home in the Albuquerque area in a while....[​IMG]

7. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    Who did you buy your silkies from?

8. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    The famous George Mihalik...

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:Not meaning to hijack this, but I have a related question. I bought 4 Silkie girls and one splash Silkie roo a couple of months ago. They came from the flock of a woman who was getting out of Silkies to concentrate on another breed. They are (according to the seller) about one year old. I put five of the Silkie eggs into the incubator with some OEGB BB red bantam eggs. Three of the silkie eggs hatched. I've collected nearly all of their eggs since then and tried incubating, but not a single one showed ANY sign of development at any stage along a 21 day stretch. [​IMG] I saw Mr. Magoo (the silkie roo) attempt to mate one of the girls yesterday, and from what I saw, the poor fellow doesn't quite have the process perfected... Is there a chance he'll get the technique perfected, or am I going to be yearning for silkie babies that aren't to be? I have 4 bantam frizzle cochin roos that were hatched in Nov. 08; will they possibly step in to fill Mr. Magoo's shoes as they mature, or maybe goad him into getting the process refined? ??? Any suggestions, you Silkie lovers?

10. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Not meaning to hijack this, but I have a related question. I bought 4 Silkie girls and one splash Silkie roo a couple of months ago. They came from the flock of a woman who was getting out of Silkies to concentrate on another breed. They are (according to the seller) about one year old. I put five of the Silkie eggs into the incubator with some OEGB BB red bantam eggs. Three of the silkie eggs hatched. I've collected nearly all of their eggs since then and tried incubating, but not a single one showed ANY sign of development at any stage along a 21 day stretch. [​IMG] I saw Mr. Magoo (the silkie roo) attempt to mate one of the girls yesterday, and from what I saw, the poor fellow doesn't quite have the process perfected... Is there a chance he'll get the technique perfected, or am I going to be yearning for silkie babies that aren't to be? I have 4 bantam frizzle cochin roos that were hatched in Nov. 08; will they possibly step in to fill Mr. Magoo's shoes as they mature, or maybe goad him into getting the process refined? ??? Any suggestions, you Silkie lovers?

It will take him a bit to understand how to actually "do it". Once he gets his balancing act figured out then they should be fertile. I'd give him time. Some roosters don't become fertile until several months or more.

There is always the possibily that he could be infertile, but since he may not be mature yet, I would wait and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by