Yet another snakebit dog :(

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Cara, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I went to bring our dogs in this morning as it was getting hot outside, and four of them came running but my husband's new puppy didn't come in. When I went outside she was laying on her side with her eyes open but not moving, and flies on her. I picked her up and she was floppy, and I thought she was dead [​IMG] I had no idea what was wrong with her, so I put her on our bed in front of a fan and started trying to call my husband. I couldn't get hold of him and Maggie still wasn't moving, so I got changed and rushed to the ranch office like a mad woman. I finally found him there, by which point her leg was starting to swell and trickling blood from the fang marks. We gave her a steroid shot and came back home to shut the other dogs up in the house and see if we could find the culprit, as I remembered my pointer sniffing around their doghouses when I left. My husband couldn't find the shot shells, so grabbed a T-post, lifted up one of the houses and there it was, a Diamondback. Maggie must have stepped on it when she went out the doggy door. Luckily he got it killed with nobody else getting hurt, and we just rushed her to the vet. I hope she's going to be ok, she is only ten weeks old and small, and wouldn't stand up.

We just had one of our dogs get over a snakebite after several weeks in the vet, and two of them got bitten by one last July. Other than the two dogs that were bitten this year, they are all snake-proofed, but I kept the dead snake (minus head) to make doubly sure they know to leave them well alone. I just don't know what else I can do [​IMG] I keep them away from snakey areas, and on a leash as much as I can during snake season, but they need to run. Three of the four have got bitten by a snake coming into our yard, at two different houses.

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    that's so sad!!! I hope the puppy makes it. I wish there was such a thing as snake repellant!!! Of course, I've heard that lots of chickens will eat the poop out of a snake.....

3. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Oh no! I sure hope the puppy recovers.

4. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Poor puppy!! I hope she pulls through!!!

5. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i saw a piece on tv about how will smith had that dog guy come and train the dogs to watch for the snakes after they lost one, Im not sure but maybe theres a website that shows how to do it. hope the puppys ok.

6. Nugget

Nugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2007
    Wow Cara, I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. The only snakes we have here are garters and grass snakes. I would be in a lot of trouble if I moved to the southern states as it doesn't cross my mind to watch out for anything more than a mosquito. How completely frightening. We often complain about our short summers, but am going to count some blessings. I hope your pup makes it.

7. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Quote:I took four of our dogs to a snakeproofing clinic last summer (handling 4 rambunctious dogs in TX in August is a great way to lose weight LOL), and that seemed to sink in well. They used the live rattlesnake and shock collar method. Since that workshop is only put on once a year, I took one of my dogs that had been bitten to a training center for a refresher, along with my puppy. I figured it would help in the meantime. They used a different method, involving a Bull Snake and a lot of screaming, but my already snake-proofed dog was the only one in the class showing any real fear and aversion. The puppy got bitten six weeks later, two days before she was scheduled to get the rattlesnake vaccine [​IMG] The one that got bitten today was (and is, if she is ok) going to the yearly event in less than two weeks.

I kept the beheaded snake today and took our dogs out one by one with a shock collar on, and zapped them if they went to sniff it. The problem was that they were afraid of the movement of a snake, but not the scent. Even the two that have never been bitten and will run from a snake went up to the body to sniff it. Hopefully i've at least made them wary. I looked like a lunatic throwing a dead mangled snake at them, but I think they got the hint. The dog that has been bitten and snakeproofed twice almost ran over the top of a rattlesnake last week, as it was not moving and quite well hidden. Normally if she sees one she will break her leash to get away and literally climbs up my back to get away (all 55lbs of her!). My biggest worry is my Bloodhound (the puppy that got bitten in May). The Bloodhound I had before her got bitten last summer. They don't have as many cues as the others, as they travel with their heads down and can't see a snake like that. If it doesn't buzz (like the one today), all they have to go on is the scent, and it may take a second to register that it's a bad thing, by which time they're bitten [​IMG] I'm just thankful only one got bitten today, although I wish it hadn't been her since she is so small. We had all five dogs in the yard, and the snake was in a corner a couple of feet from their door.

8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Hope everything turns out okay for the puppy AND you and your husband. That's really scarey. Please keep us posted.

9. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Thanks everyone for your good wishes. I wish we could move somewhere snakeless. I grew up in England where it's hard to find anything venomous! I love my dogs dearly but it just doesn't seem fair to keep dogs out here with snakes being such a problem.

10. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    LOL I just received an e-mail from Ideal advertising a guinea special. I have two but they are only three weeks old and I planned to put them in my coops as a warning if there are any snakes around.

Now I just have to weigh up the noise factor, and the risk of them getting us bucked off our horses LOL Oh, and the divorce factor!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by