yet another temp question . . .

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fargosmom, Feb 12, 2009.

1. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    The chicks are now 5 weeks old. I've been dropping the temp as recommended, so last week their box was around 71 degrees over their perch (where they sleep at night). I usually keep our house at around 61 degrees - would I be safe at this point turning their heat off? I've tried it this morning and the box is around 64 degrees right now. They're pretty feathered (still growing in on their heads but fluffy everywhere else I can see). Since they're roosting tight on the perch anyway, how would I know if they're too cold?
    thanks! (I hope to have new pics later today or tomorrow - weather permitting a trip to the backyard)

2. fargosmom

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I just went to check on them - they were bunched in the corner. Might have been napping but I relented and turned the heat back on. Am I being over-protective?

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    75 - 80 * F would be appropriate. if they are huddling near the heat source, they are too cold. if they are going as far as possible from the heat source and separating, they are too hot.

they should be spread about. they will huddle loosely to sleep, but too tight is dangerous.

you're not being over protective, you are practicing good animal husbandry.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    They probably need to be about 75 F.+ at 5 weeks. I like to put a light where they can choose to be close to it or move to a cooler spot if they're too warm.

Don't worry, you're being a good mom!

5. fargosmom

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    They're back up to 71-ish and seem happy. Thanks for the input. I can't quite get it to 75 due to the way the lamp gets positioned over the box -
    the next lowest place I can put it would put the box back over 80 degrees and they don't seem to need that. Everyone is cheeping and doing their usual thing, so I think they're fine.
    Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by