Yet Another Temperature Topic

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OldGuy43, Nov 27, 2011.

1. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thought this observation was worthy of a separate topic. Here in Central Texas the temperature this morning is 45° with the wind out of the NNW at 15 mph gusting to 25 and the cluckers are scratching and pecking in the shadiest part of their run. They obviously are not cold.

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Mine don't like this weather. Yesterday as you know the wind was howling and they stayed right by my back door. They didn't move all day. I locked them in the coop early (around 4:30 ) and they went right in no fuss. And not to mention one of mine is molting. Ugh! Tonight is suppose to freeze. I'm going out to buy some hay to line the sides of the coop with for insulation. I hope it helps. I'm worried about Miss Molty.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  3. kimmybow

kimmybow Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Boxborough
    My girls have already been exposed to 30 degree weather here in Mass. - no heat in their coop. They are handling it well - they are still laying and they come out and play just the same as always. 6 Buff Orps.

4. flowergirl60

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Quote:

5. kimmybow

kimmybow Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Boxborough
    Quote:I have hay bales on either side of their door (which stays open), and then one on top of the two, making a tunnel. I believe it helps keep it warm in there. My only problem is that I have to remove the bales and the door to get any eggs that are layed - HUGE PITA. [​IMG]

6. flowergirl60

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Quote:
    OOPs!

7. flowergirl60

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Quote:
    That is good that they are handling it well. Mine hate the wind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by