1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yet another Tyson chicken fell off the truck!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rhodiegal, Feb 20, 2007.

1. rhodiegal

rhodiegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    Is it just me, or has anyone else here taken home chickens that have fallen off the Tyson chicken truck on the way to the plant??

We are at #3. The first one was mortally wounded and had to be put down. The 2nd had a broken ankle and is now recovered and doing fine. The 3rd had no injuries at all. This is crazy!

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

They don't seem to care if anything falls off the truck obviously...
    Thanks so much for snagging them and giving them the love and care that they deserve.
    100 Good Karma Points for each save!!

3. rhodiegal

rhodiegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    Thanks!

And what sweet birds they are! One of them follows me around like a puppy dog and actually likes to be picked up. The other is humungous - even on a restricted diet.

4. Marc33

Marc33 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    I have seen alot of dead birds along Tyson routes, but unfortunately no survivors. The cages they use are really beat up and birds just are able to get thru the bent up openings and fall out. It all comes down to poorly maintained cages. Good luck with the new pets! That is really great to hear that some can be saved! They really don't care if they lose some off the truck they are counted as DOA's at the plant and the farmer gets it taken out of his check!! they lose nothing. BTW rhodiegal, what plant are you close to?

5. tomlisa

tomlisa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2007
    Monroe, NC
    We see dead birds all the time along the road. Whenever I see a truck full of chickens going off to their demise, I want to high jack the truck and take them all home with me to be safe. We did have one that showed up at our house and took to our group right away. She has turned out to be a good layer too.

6. edbama2

edbama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Slocomb, Alabama
    I have never actually seen one survive the fall off of the truck. I live right across the street from an old Perdue chicken farm. It shut down a year ago.

7. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Good Lord! Not coming from a place where there are huge farms, I never imagined such a horrible thing. I have a hard enough time watching the beef trucks go by, and no one falls out of those!
    What do these transports look like? Are they just in the back of an open truck in cages?
    Eeh!

8. tomlisa

tomlisa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2007
    Monroe, NC
    They are flat bed tractor trailers and stack the cages maybe 6 high and tie them down

9. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We live a couple of miles from Ohio Fresh Eggs. They are always in the local news as they are always fighting with the State of Ohio. We frequently read about or sometimes hear from people about chickens falling off the trucks and being rescued. All the endings I've heard about have been happy ones. When you see one of their trucks go by, it looks like a big white feathery box, it's so loaded with chickens whose feathers are sticking out the sides. The layers only get to live about six months, then they're carted off to slaughter, so we're always happy when one gets a break and gets to enjoy the grass, sky, and sunshine!

10. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    And they are cruising down the highway at 60 miles an hour? One more reason for people to raise meat animals locally, on as small a scale as possible!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by