Yet another worm question....

Sobek

Songster
Aug 12, 2018
orlando florida
I know there is a post here about this I really do but i dewormed my chickens with wazine a few days ago and like an idiot I forgot to clean one area of of my bantams like to sleep so now she is reinfected. What dewormer can I use to follow this up with? Round worms

Could I use wazine again if I gave her a small dose of the diluted mixture?

I know there is a post here about this I really do but i dewormed my chickens with wazine a few days ago and like an idiot I forgot to clean one area of of my bantams like to sleep so now she is reinfected. What dewormer can I use to follow this up with? Round worms

You are supposed to do a followup de-worming with piperazine (Wazine) after the initial de-worming to kill any of the worms that mature from eggs that were in the system during the first treatment. Piperazine only kills adult worms. You do the second treatment 7-10 days after the first treatment. Just do the normal follow up treatment and you should be fine.
Keeping everything as dry as possible is the best way to control the internal parasite burden in your flock.

What you witnessed is proof that your bantams didnt drink enough of the treated water or didnt drink the treated water at all. Or, your birds are too sick to drink the treated water due to the worms. That's the drawback about mixing wormers in water.
Giving your bird a small dose of the diluted mixture is ineffective. Wazine is not like benzimidazoles.

You'd be better off dosing your birds orally using a syringe without a needle with Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. If you use the Safeguard, dose them 5 days in a row and you're done. If you use Valbazen, redose them in 10-14 days.
Either of these two wormers will not only get rid of large roundworms (which you saw), they will also get rid of other types of unseen worms as well.
Once you use either one of these wormers, wait 4 days and then clean out your coop and get rid of the bedding and then replace it with fresh bedding including nest boxes. Incinerate it if you're able, fire will destroy worm eggs.

Back
Top Bottom