1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yet but one more Sex link question . . .

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by glassparman, Dec 7, 2009.

1. glassparman

glassparman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    OK, I have read the sticky and I read question 3:

Q 3 Can I use any kind of sex linked hen or sex linked rooster ( black sex linked or red sex linked) to produce sex linked chicks?

A. NO

So here is my question. I have a dozen Red Star hens which are sex link hens. I also have just one rooster - an Americana - at least that's what he looks like.

I finally decided to try to hatch some eggs to see what I would get. I managed to get three very light colored chicks and two very dark chicks. Did the sex link pass on or can you get females of very different colors with the same parents?

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Sex Link do not pass on .You can have girls who look like there mothers and others who do not (depends on fathers genetiks).No chance you can sex them at hatch

3. glassparman

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    Thanks, I'm new to this so I really don't know what I'm doing. I just figured that if there is only one Rooster, all the chicks would look relatively the same. This was actually my first time trying to hatch.

Michael

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    What color is your Ameraucana roo and are you sure he's not an EE ?

When crossing certain colored roos ( for instance a black tailed red roo like a RIR) with sexlink hens, you can get some chicks that will have white tails and some will have black tails, and that may be the reason for the two different colors of chicks, but they would not be sexlinked. I'd need to know more about the color of your roo, a picture would be great.

5. glassparman

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    I know it's a little hard to see but you can see my Red Star Hens and my Roo by going to my BYC page on this site.

I'm really afraid to sex them as I think I might hurt them so I really don't know what sex they are. Two are exactly the same - buff. The other two are dark brown with a few highlights.

I'm not sure about the Roo, I could be totally off track here.

Michael

6. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I can't see the pic of your roo very well but it does look like he could be a pure wheaten Ameraucana, and not an EE mutt, if that's the case, you should get some chicks that look like the hens and some that look like the roo, but they would still not be sexlinked. If you cross the FI hens back to the roo, you should get chicks that have the wheaten pattern,but the black will be replaced with white. No help on the sexes though.

7. glassparman

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    Well that answers my questions anyway. I'll just have to wait and see which ones crow! One of the light chicks is a roo for sure . . . I can just tell by the way he acts when I reach in to pick him up.

I went to the Ameraucana Breeders club and looked at pictures to include the comb. My Roo is an Ameraucana Wheaten for sure. It looks just like him. He was one of the "rare free chicks" that McMurray throws in with your order.

Thanks again,
    Michael

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  8. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Ahhhh well if he came from a hatchery, it's likly that he's not a pure Ameraucana, hatcheries just breed for colored eggs, not to the Ameraucana standard. I really hate that hatcheries sell their birds as Ameraucanas when they're really Easter Eggers, I blame hatcheries for the most part on the confusion associated with the differences of Ameraucanas, Araucanas, and Easter Eggers, it is possible that you can get a EE roo that is the Wheaten color, like pure Ams. I have 2 EE hens that are the same color as Silver Ameraucanas.

Bur regardless of what he truely is, he still looks like the wheaten color and the results of the crossing should be the same. Try to get some better pics of that roo and the chicks and see if we can be better help.

Clint

9. glassparman

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    Clint, it's not that big of a deal. You guys MORE than answered my questions about the sex-link trait getting passed on. I just figured they would all come out looking the same.

I'll still get some better pictures to post because we all LOVE chickens right????

Michael

10. glassparman

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    Here is a picture of my ROO and the four chicks that just hatched out. The hens are all Red Stars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again for your opinion.

Michael

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by