Yews, always a death sentence?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by teaton, Sep 18, 2016.

1. teaton

teaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    Ive read almost every article i could on animals eating yews and every single one states the animal will die within hours sometimes up to 2 days later. One statement was that a mouth full of yew could kill a horse or cow within 15 minutes, and that 50 needles could kill a man. Theres no antidotes nothing you can do.
    Well you could imagine my dismay after my two 4 month old doelings just ran right up to one and proceeded to eat atleast 2 mouthfuls each as im running and screaming towards them before i could get them to stop. That was yesterday around 4:00 and i must have stayed up in the barn with them googling symptoms until atleast 1am this morning. So far they are fine and have no symptoms but i know that we're not out of the clear for 3 days. My question is has anyone had a goat or animal eat yew and survive? Is this shrub as lethal as they say? And if so is there really nothing i can do?

2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

yes, yew is lethal.
    on that note, milk of magnesia forced down their throats will coat the stomach and cause diarreah.
    This can help to prevent further poisoning and damage.
    Best of luck,
    CluckerCottage

3. teaton

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    Even though its been a day i can still use the milk of magnesia? And how much should i use?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  4. CluckerCottage

Were they my doelings, I'd give it a shot.
    Dose Milk of Magnesia orally at 15 cc per 60 pounds bodyweight every four to six hours until the goat's feces turns clumpy then back to normal. Keep your babies hydrated with electrolytes-- laxatives are very dehydrating.

5. teaton

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    I went and got it and gave them the dosage, i will continue today, i have fresh water and electrolytes on hand. And as soon as possible we plan on tearing up and burning all the yews, i knew they were poisionous but i had no idea how lethal they really are! We dont need them!

6. CluckerCottage

Hoping for the best with your babies!
    Please keep us posted on how they are doing.
    I don't keep goats anymore but I sure remember they were a handful.
    CluckerCottage

7. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Yikes! How terrible! Hoping for the best for your doelings!!!!

8. teaton

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    Thanks guys so far they still arent showing any symptoms and its been 24 hours, im still dosing milk of magnesia.
    This was them a little while ago enjoying climbing our steps lol
    [​IMG]

9. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Are you sure your yews are even poisonous? Very often several plants go by the same common name.

10. teaton

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    Yes i have the taxus class yew shrubs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by