Yikes! ! Advice please!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stretchc1, May 6, 2009.

1. stretchc1

stretchc1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    First day with these chicks, so I was checking for pasting up. One of the babies had a kind of "string" hanging from her fluff, but when I checked, it was under the vent--not on it. She has pooped and is eating and drinking.

But I also noticed that the string was hanging from a hard black bumpy thing. I tried washing off the black thing, but no go. The chick has been sort of worrying the area--trying to reach back there with her beak.

I checked the web and books to see if there was a piece of anatomy that I didn't know about. Found nothing. I figured the bump was a dried on piece of poo--that's what it seemed like when I felt it. I tried again to get it off with warm water and a rub with a soft cloth. Still no go. Chick furious.

So here's the screw up part: I got a pair of scissors and tried snipping it off--and it seems to have been "connected," at least a little bit, because there was a spot of blood. I put BlueKote on with a Q-tip and put the baby back in the brooder. The others are not pecking at her. She's taking a nap now.

Holy cow. What was that black bumpy thing? Should I do something else, or just watch and wait?

2. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    interesting, hopefully someone who has an idea will speak up soon.

3. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    Sounds like it was the dried cord so no, you shouldn't have cut it, it will dry and fall off.

4. stretchc1

stretchc1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    I called the help line at MyPetChicken.com--which I realize I should have done before:/. The woman said that the bumpy thing was the chick's umbilical cord and that I should just leave it alone. It should still dry up and fall off.

Fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by