Yikes chickens think they are blue jays/clipping wings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kelliepulido, Sep 26, 2010.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I jneed to clip the wings on some of my chickens they are flying over the fence and becoming dog food.Can anyone tell me where and how much to clip Thanks they all seem to think they are song birds.Just this past week the ees seem to have found out they can fly,everybody is roosting on top of the fences flying over etc.I didn't think they were that flighty anyone else have this problem.Did I encourage this by making roosts along the raftors of their coop.I put up high roosts to keep them up off the ground.Kellie

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    thank you

4. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I clip as close and as much as I can, since mine are extremely flighty. ^.^'

5. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    If you want to cut even closer, safely, use a pair of dog nail clippers (the scissor kind, not the guillotine kind) and clip each feather one at a time near the base of the feather shaft. If you don't have these or can't get them, then you can use strong kitchen shears, but they will give you less control than nail clippers. Regular scissors like you would use to cut paper may not be strong enough since feather shafts are stronger the closer to the base you get. It takes longer, but it completely removes the feather (thus eliminating any lift they had been getting from that feather) and you can clearly see which feathers are grown in and which ones are blood feathers so you don't have to worry about causing bleeding. You can easily tell the difference because blood feathers appear to have a thicker shaft since the keratin sheath hasn't come off the feather yet at the point where the blood supply is. You can probably get the reduction of lift you need by clipping just one side, but I personally like to clip both wings because I feel the birds are less likely to injure themselves by trying to fly and being totally off balance.

6. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I need to buy some big scissors maybe crafts section at walmart sewing section?

7. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I just use old metal sewing shears my mother used to use back when she had a tailoring business. They work great, so glad the little babies no longer fly over my head..^.^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by