Yikes! chicks got cold last night.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dovecanyon, Nov 14, 2009.

1. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    So, the brooder was at 80' when I went to bed last night at around 10pm (remote thermometer by my bed!). When I got up this morning at 6:30 it was 67'. I don't know how long the bulb was out, but the brooder is well insulated, so it must have been shortly after that to drop so low. The girls are almost 4 weeks (on Monday). Is there anything I need to worry about? Getting sick? They are back up to 75' now and climbing. They seem ok, but they were all squashed together on the roost when I got up, and looking pretty silly all fluffed out with their scraggly feathers. And they were sure cranky! Should I give them a dose of vitamins or something? Or just quit worrying like a "mother hen"? Thanks again for all the welcome advice...

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You could put some electrolytes and vitamins in their water.

3. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had the same thing happen on an occasion or 3 and I wouldn't worry too much. Get the temps back up and give them a treat or 2 today. Vitamins wouldn't hurt either. You're a good chicken mama to worry about them. [​IMG]

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    4 weeks = 20 degrees less than starting temp -- so they weren't all that far under!

From what I hear (I got lucky, and my temps were perfect, no bulbs blew, etc, so I don't have first hand experience; keep that in mind), it's the squishing together that's most likely to do them in rather than being a little cold themselves. Like people, they don't "catch cold" from being chilled, but they can be crushed, and if their internal temperature goes too low, they can die from hypothermia.

5. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Thanks everyone. They seem fine- giving me the stink-eye every time I check on them. So spoiled! I gave them some warm oatmeal, hopefully to warm them up from the inside out. I usually wake up every couple of hours and check the temp, but of course last night I slept straight through and that is when the bulb blew. I wish someone would quit sending Murphy my forwarding address! I'll give them another little treat this afternoon, and will let them out to play later when it is warm outside. Hopefully all will be forgiven by bedtime tonight. Sheesh, I don't remember worrying this much about my kids when they were babies...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by