YIKES! crazy temps in the incubator! What kind should I buy now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Serama Mama 4, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Serama Mama 4

Serama Mama 4 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    Our incubator just won't hold a steady temp. It has gone to 102 several times, 105 once and even 116 degrees. Is there any chance that we will still get chicks? It's a "little Giant" still air. Could someone recommend a good incubator? Are hovobators any better? How about a GQF model 1266? Is it okay to buy used? If I buy a cabinet model how do I handle lock down and hatching time?

2. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    My little giant did that last night too. It didn't go as high as yours but went to 105. I'm sticking with my eggs being that they were started last night at midnight and were probably only up to 105 for a couple of hours. I'm not sure about the other bators though. Good luck. I hope your chicks are ok but 116? Hmmmmm.[​IMG]

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    [​IMG] I'm a hatch addict....we hatch all year long.Just finished hatching some last night and the next hatch is hatching now [​IMG] I don't like the LG at all personally.It's fussy and when my kiddo dumped water on the thermostat it kind of cooked it [​IMG] the wafers won't do that.I know kiddo shouldn't have liquid near it but I don't live in a perfect World so things like that I consider a big negative.I didn't have many temp spikes with ours but our room environment is very stable.
    All bators need a fan installed imo it's easy to do and the hatch rates will increase greatly.I do like the LG either the model without the fan and install one or the pre-installed.My local feed stores all sell the still air so I usually go with that and the kit.Many people like the Genesis.We had one and didn't find it one bit better and several people have had issues with the temps anyway...so save some money and go with the others.
    You can buy used but look at the condition...then scrub it with bleach or oxine before you use it..and after every hatch and your hatch rates will stay up high...we constantly hatch 90-100% And with a new or used bator it's always a good idea to have an extra wafer on hand just in case..it's cheap insurance on the hatch.
    With a cabinet you have to find the happy medium on humidity but I'm not the one to ask as I break every rule to lockdown anyway from opening the bator to hatching low humidity...forgetting to lock them down at all and hatching on the turners I still have great hatch rates...A thing to think about with a cabinet.If something goes wrong you have lost hundreds of eggs where a styro you have lost about 40
    Will you get chicks? Hopefully never enough chicks [​IMG] 116 would be cooler than my broody hatched chicks in over the summer [​IMG]

4. Serama Mama 4

Serama Mama 4 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    I'm confused about your reply. Do you like the lg or dislike it? Did you mean to say that you like a different one? Have you ever used the Hovobator? Thanks for the info [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ya know, when I wanted to buy my first bator, I was looking at the LG because of price. I was quickly persuaded to lean away from that bator for the very reasons you are posting. I hope your hatch turns out well, and after that, look at Genesis and Brinsea.

7. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I wouldn't toss it...many have good experiences with LGs. I would buy a fan to instal, either from LG or just a computer fan, and add some heat sinks (glass jar of water). This will cut down on big temp swings.
    As for this batch, candle them, see if you have wigglers!

I have a sportsman cabinet that is easy to use, but I also have homemade cooler-bators which do well...

8. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    My bad..sorry about that I like the HB better for all the reasons I listed plus LG parts are not easy to find where I live and everyone around here sells all the HB parts.
    We have used about every make and model bator out there on the market..and some that are not and had no serious issues with any of them just found some of the more pricey one's didn't do any better than the cheap ones..but when you hatch around 100% most every hatch it has to really do something to impress me.. now I like price and part availability but have only had to replace 1 wafer so far with the bator never being turned off for over a year.
    Since you have the LG I would add a fan and try again. [​IMG]

9. jenfork

jenfork Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I just hatched my first batch with a Brinsea Mini Advance. 6 out of 7 eggs hatched. Very easy to use & the temps were stable. The only thing you need to keep your eye on, is the humidity.

10. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    We started out with an LG years ago. Retired it and saved as a back up. I lost a whole batch of PeaFowl with the temp. isuues swinging at the end of the wafers life. You can replace the wafer and keep as a back up bator. Which I had neither of at that time. I have since moved on . Personally, I prefer to have moving air. I believe the LG is a good start, I believe that most seasoned hatchers would agree that you learn and move up a grade or two as you progress. Kind of like your first car....

Just my .02

Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by