Yikes...Egg has never moved?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TeePants, Sep 9, 2011.

1. TeePants

TeePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Well, it's the end of day 19 and I am down to one egg. 3 of the 5 didn't develop at all, 1 didn't develop AND rotted, the little jerk. This LAST ONE has a developed aircell and is appropriately dark, but I've never seen 'movement' in it (granted, I'm using a cheapie LED flashlight).

I had to pull that last bad egg out today- I couldn't see anything in it until I candled it JUST RIGHT, which I didn't do until it started to emit fumes. It exploded in the trash and not my incubator, thankfully.

I don't know if it was me, or the homeade 'bator, or if the eggs weren't fertile to begin with. I got them off eBay- I guess I got what I paid for, lol.

I did take a quick peek at the last remaining egg- it looks right according to the egg candling chart here (I did NOT remove it from the bator and my bathroom is pretty darn humid so it only dipped to ~60% before jumping back up).

BUT, I've NEVER seen it moving like I hear people describing on here- either while candling or otherwise. Is it dead? Should I just pull it and not get my hopes up? I feel like a moron having bought chick feed, set up a brooder, etc etc. Should I start calling around to find some day old chicks?

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Might be a good idea to find day old chicks even if the last one does hatch. 1 chick is kinda sad and lonely.

3. TeePants

Aug 11, 2011
    Yeah that's what I figured. But they're bantams, and I am having trouble finding ANY chicks locally right now. [​IMG] Let the craigslisting begin, I suppose.

4. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    What state are you in?? Have you asked on your state thread??

5. TeePants

Aug 11, 2011
    Louisiana, and uh, good point, lol. [​IMG] Sorry, it's late and my brain isn't fully functioning atm.

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
  7. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:so true, when only one of my hatched it died [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. TeePants

Aug 11, 2011
    Oh no, that's terrible! [​IMG] Well, I'll call around later in the morning when the rest of the world is awake, haha. Besides, there's still a sort of awfully good chance knowing my luck this last one won't hatch either.

Next time, I think I'll just buy an incubator... I don't want to force future generations of eggs to suffer my attempts at DIY, lol.

9. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    Quote:Where are the state threads located on this site? I too am interested

10. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Good luck with your egg, I have a friend who has several non movers hatch so don't worry yet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by