YIKES...forgot to let hen in coop for night..can't find her!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rainbowlake mama hen, Jun 5, 2011.

1. rainbowlake mama hen

rainbowlake mama hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    We are keeping our mama hen and her two chicks closed up in the coop to keep babies safe and just letting our other laying hen out in the morning to free range and then back in at dark but we forgot tonight to let her in. It was very dark by the time we remembered and we can't find her anywhere? will she be ok? So worried about her!!!!!!!! and feeling oh so guilty!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have done that before. I found one on top of the coop and another in a tree next to the coop. Can you go out with some treats and do your treat call. Maybe she will come. If you have any trees nearby she may be in a tree.

3. rainbowlake mama hen

Oct 2, 2010
    We're actually surrounded by trees. Think I'll go back out and look higher in the trees around the coop one more time...we called and called but didn't hear her. hopefully she'll be ok.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    She's found a hidey hole for the night. She could be under the coop, some bushes or other safe feeling place nearby, or maybe a tree depending on breed and flying ability. If it's dark already it will be tough to find where she's hiding. My guess would be she's close to the coop door somewhere.

I have had some hens spend the night outdoors for various reasons -broodies usually - and all were fine come the AM.

5. LizzyJo

LizzyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Aptos CA
    I had a girl that got left out all night. They were freeranging and I guess she missed that it was getting dark. When I went out in the morning at about 7 to let everyone out, she came running and flapping at me. She was so relieved to get back in with the other girls. I never figured out where she spent the night.

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    She found a place to hide and she will probably give you the stink eye in the morning unless you give her some good treats.

7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

yeah she is probably lay low until morning. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. rainbowlake mama hen

Oct 2, 2010
    She's fine! NOt sure where she was but she came around the coop when I went out to check this morning. she has been a bit vocal today but calms down when I go out and talk to her..lol...think she's either given me what for or she's just wanting the extra assurance that I'm attending to her needs. She got some extra treats and some extra attention, lol. : ) all is well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by