Yikes! Heat lamp bulb burned out!

bluie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 18, 2007
We went to turn on the heat light for the night, and its burned out! I only used it for two weeks! So we suspended a heating pad just above the litter (they, 7 two and a half week old chicks, are in the coop already). They were scared of it, but when I picked them up from the corner and moved them to under the heating pad, they all stayed right where I put them. They have been so healthy and robust so far, I hope they are ok! It was 80 degrees in there, but I am sure it would go down about 5 or 10 degrees during the night.

You can use a 60 watt bulb over the chicks, you will want to watch the chicks to see how they act. Also, you may need to suspend the 60 watt bulb lower than you had to put the actual heat bulb. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, Cjeanean! We didn't have any 60 watt bulbs, but they made it through the night no problem. It went down to 72 last night. Every time I checked on them, the two silkies were in the middle, with the regular size chicks around them. This morning, they were all perfectly normal. (And I went and bought another bulb).

Back
Top Bottom