Yikes,,, I think I messed up bad

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by juststruttin, Oct 8, 2012.

1. juststruttin

juststruttin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    California
    It is day 18 and I went to take 80 eggs off the turners just to discover they turners were not plugged in. I feel completely sick to my stomach wondering how badly I messed up. I guess I will know in 3 days when they are due to hatch.

About 10/80 eggs look like they stopped developing sometime after day 10 (last time I candled). I hope they will be okay...

I'll keep you posted.

2. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Be careful, you may have some survive, but watch for deformities. I was once sick and didn't turn my eggs for 6 days early in incubation and ended up with a couple deformities including a chick that hatched with only one leg and lots that just didn't hatch. I have never had any deformaties otherwise. I hope you have better luck than I did, Good Luck with your hatch! [​IMG]

3. juststruttin

Aug 9, 2010
    California
    Thanks, Yeah I am pretty upset. I will be really sad if they are deformed because of my mistake.

4. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Ok, to give you some more hope. Someone ran a test bunch of eggs in which they did nothing. The person didn't turn the eggs, never added water for humdity, and just left them alone at a constant tempature and actually got a pretty decent hatch rate! So how are your little guy's doing?

5. SilverDuck284

SilverDuck284 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    I've also read that turning really isn't as important as people make it out to be. Personally I only turn for the first 7 days. Once the embryo is moving there's much lower risk of it becoming stuck to the shell. I'd like to know how it they did!

6. TenOC

TenOC Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    What is your hatch rate without turning after 7 days ???

7. SilverDuck284

SilverDuck284 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    My hatch rates have been about 50-70%. I have ONLY ever incubated shipped eggs, so thats a pretty good hatch rate. I use the dry incubation method, and I have never hatched less than half hatch, never had any deformities, never had a chick die after hatching.

8. juststruttin

Aug 9, 2010
    California
    Update:

I had a 60% over all hatch rate and100% survival rate of hatched chicks. There were no deformities or weak chicks. I guess there is no way of knowing if the if the low 60% hatch rate was due to egg not being turned or another reason. All the eggs that went into lockdown looked fully developed when candled on Day 18th. I am just happy the chicks that did hatch were healthy.

9. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Wow, that surprises me! Congradulations on the little babies!

10. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Very good news, that is wonderful! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by