Yikes! Lucky and Glinda slipped under the fence...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by elmo, Jun 15, 2010.

1. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    This afternoon my daughter and I were sitting in our fenced back yard, letting two of our hens and their five and six week old bantam chicks free range. They younger set of chicks is just on the cusp of being "kicked out of the nest." I noticed their hen pecking at them grumpily today when they got underfoot, and she was slipping away when they weren't noticing and not returning to them when they call. After a little bit, they settled down and started scratching and doing typical chicken business. All was well...

And then several blue jays flew screaming right over our heads. The littlest chicks dove under some ivy at the edge of our yard, right next to our six foot tall board fence. All the chickens froze for what seemed the longest time, and then they relaxed and went back to their business. I kept watching the ivy, but none of the chicks came out, so I went over to investigate. I couldn't find them. Then I heard one peeping, and located Ozma. But where were Lucky and Glinda?

In the neighbor's yard, that's where. They had squeezed under the fence through a very small gap that I hadn't noticed because of the ivy., maybe an inch to an inch and a half wide. Other places in the yard where there was a visible gap under the fence I had already covered up with hardware cloth, but I had missed this area because of the thick foliage. Now what to do? I went and got a ladder, climbed up, and spotted the chicks just over the fence. As I was pondering whether I should try to climb over the fence...how to get back? or go to the neighbor's house, knock on their door, etc. (it's not right next door, because of the way the streets are it's actually a whole block away to get there), one of the chicks, Lucky, decided to take matters into his own hands...ehr...wings. He gathered himself together, jumped up in the air and flapped his little wings like the dickens. He managed to fly up and perch on the neighbor's four foot chain link fence that is right in back of our wood one. I reached down and grabbed him. Safe!

But what about Glinda? She copied Lucky's stunt, but she flew up to the top of the chain link fence a few feet away from where I was and I couldn't reach her. By the time I moved the ladder and climbed back up, she had flown back down onto the ground. She started to run down the fence line, peeping. We were calling to her, and my daughter handed Lucky to me to try to lure her back.

Finally, she stopped, and with one giant effort, flew up to the top of the six foot board fence where I scooped her up gratefully. All the chicks are now safely inside their runs, and I'm off to the store to buy more hardware cloth.

I am so lucky the neighbors in back of us don' t keep a dog in their yard. Whew!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Mine are always visiting the neighbors - thank goodness she loves them as much as me. We are both chicken obsessed but she has 100 and I have a lot less than that - hmmm

Caroline

3. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Glad they came back! I've been impressed with how high the chicks can fly. Mine are only 2 weeks old and can fly over a foot high-- and they barely have feathers! Their "mom" is a fat BO hen who can barely clear 3'. [​IMG]

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    What a day those chicks have had! First their under the fence experience, and tonight their hen left them behind in their nestbox. So they're sleeping by themselves for the first time in their little lives. Amazing how quickly they catch on that "mom" is not mom for them any longer. They're not crying a bit on their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by