Yikes....My 8 yr old just almost lost her future driving privileges...

Camelot Farms

Chickenista
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
VA,TN,NC Tri-State area
Setting the scenario. We live on a country lane (its really just a long dirt driveway with a name), 3/10ths of a mile from the ROAD. The ROAD is a 2 lane hwy. The section that we pull off onto is in a school zone so traffic is 30mph.

DD is 8, she is a typical farm girl who has been driving small farm vehicles since she was 5 with adult supervision of course.

Today, (like everyday), she drove our 4 wheeler from our house down the lane to pick up her brother (16) from the bus. She parks 50 ft back from the road in a neighbors unused lot.

She left today and 10 minutes later my phone rings. Its DS telling me to come to the end of the lane. The Sheriff is waiting for me. *panic*

So, I go down and get busted for:

Allowing an 8 yr old to drive
Allowing a 16 yr old to drive
No helmet(s)
No registration
No insurance
Passengers on a single person vehicle

And more that I cant remember cause I admit, I was trying not to giggle.

I dont mean to sound insensitive nor do I have any disrespect for law enforcement. I think that they do a great job. It just struck my giggle nerve.

All in all, after scaring the tar out of the kids that they would not be able to drive until they were 21 due to the charges that he could place on them...he let us all off with a warning. And I got through it without giggling out loud
wink.png

What a day!

I think that is amazing . . .we live rural and our road in the summer and fall is loaded with four wheelers and one time we had a caravan of them going through back to a home behind us for a party. . .if we tried that we would get nailed just like your kids did . . .but I admit, the sheriff must have had a slow day!!!!

lau.gif

Just another case of too much law enforcement that has nothing to do. Don't even get me started on why he's not catching the "bad guys" instead of your kids...

Quote:
I think Ms J. that he could get me on a technicality... because the 'lane' has a name, it probably is public. However, if thats the case, I will be contacting my DOT to fix the multitude of holes and ruptures that are in it...lol.

Quote:
I think Ms J. that he could get me on a technicality... because the 'lane' has a name, it probably is public. However, if thats the case, I will be contacting my DOT to fix the multitude of holes and ruptures that are in it...lol.

Around here if there are more than 2 houses on it, it has to be classified as a private lane, for firefighting/rescue vehicles to identify the location. In my case the private road signs blue, and the Real roads signs are green.

Of course now that I am over my giggles, I am annoyed
hmm.png

DS pointed out that on the real road, the guy across from our lane has one of those little golf cart style run abouts that he drives all over the neighborhood in to visit and do business. Its how he comes up my lane to get eggs! lol

And another family has 3 generations on the same side of the road and they use their quad all of the time to get back and forth from house to house using the road edge to travel.

So, I guess I will be looking up ordinances/rules this evening....lol

Back
Top Bottom