Yikes, my hens look awful from moulting!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nhchickmom, Sep 22, 2009.

1. nhchickmom

nhchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Hi all,

My hens started moulting about 2 weeks ago and really look awful, I mean losing feathers like crazy. I checked them for parasites, etc just to be sure this was due to a moult and all is fine, plus my 25 weekers look beautiful. How long does this last. I have herd that cat food may be good to add for protein, but not dog food. Why is this? WE have a dog so that would be quite easy. Let me know your thoughts. thanks

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I have herd that cat food may be good to add for protein, but not dog food. Why is this?

The sodium content could too high and protein may not be high enough. IMO neither is meant for birds and not the best thing to feed. The birds also need a lot of amino acids, minerals that won't be found in cat or dog food.

We have always tried to raise protein to 20-23% during molt. The bird's need for protein is increased when they are producing new feathers.

We just fed Purina SunFresh FlockRaiser, which is 20% and then add BOSS and oats. You can also feed treats that are high in protein, but again, you don't want to lower the protein level, and the minerals and amino acids are important to watch for, too.

Our Delaware would lose most of her feathers at once and then walk around with the porcupine quill look for weeks. So they can be pretty awful looking for a while. [​IMG]

edited for typos​

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My delaware was abused by our ex-roo, and her entire back is naked. Some scarring i think because it isn't growing back well, and now she's molting, and looks TERRIBLE!

5. Liza

Liza Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay this is my first molt as well as for my girls! Yesterday there were enough feathers (and no eggs) that I though okay here we go but today it looks like a pillow factory in there! I have four girls...two New Hamshire Reds and two Rocks. We are having some very strange weather right now even for Texas~! Tonight it is supposed to be around 55. Should I do anything for the girls special since half of their feathers line the coop?

Thanks for everyone! I could not have done this without this site and all of its good people!

Cheers,
    Liza

6. nhchickmom

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    chickensducks&agoose :

My delaware was abused by our ex-roo, and her entire back is naked. Some scarring i think because it isn't growing back well, and now she's molting, and looks TERRIBLE!

I would give her a full year. We adopted a ee from a friend last year b/c her roo was so aggressive to her. She had absolutely no tail or hind feathers. After about 6 mos. we kind of gave up on her regrowing any feathers, as we thought scarring too, but sure enough this summer she regrew all her feathers and a beautiful tail to boot. So giver her time. Best wishes.[​IMG]

7. nhchickmom

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Thanks all I will look at that site.

8. nhchickmom

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Quote:Just looked at this/ Very helpful. Looks like I have a combo of early and late moulters.

9. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

NH chick,
    thank you for your advice! I just feel so badly, the other chickens all look healthy, and she looks dreadful. It's just a bit embarrassing when people see her, like I've done something wrong! I hope she grows in well, or I'm going to be knitting her a coat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by