Yikes, my Woodie looks like she's carrying an ostrich egg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jadasmith99, Apr 25, 2011.

1. jadasmith99

jadasmith99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2009
    She is so heavy with an egg that her little butt is almost touching the ground. Today it became very pronounced. Her behavior otherwise is normal. She's active, has a hearty appetite and can poop without any trouble. I'm just getting concerned because it looks like she should have laid this egg by now. She can fly and i saw her visit the nest box yesterday...should I be worried?

2. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    I had one looking like that and she didn't lay and egg for 2 days. Then she did lay an 5.1 ounce egg that was a tripple yolker. Almost no egg white, just 3 yolks.

3. jadasmith99

jadasmith99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2009
    geez, triplets! I had never given that a second thought. is it even possible to hatch twins/triplets? I know her eggs are fertile and I hadn't planned on taken them from her.

anyway, thanks for the reassurance!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've heard of double yolkers hatching under broodies but it's very rare.

5. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Chances are very low for a double yolker to make all way down to hatching. You have a good chance with chicken eggs, but not really with duck eggs. We eat all the double or even triple yolk eggs. I want the best outcome when it comes to hatching. So no large or tiny eggs.

6. Quacking

Quacking Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    The chances are not good with a chicken double yolker egg either. With all kinds of poultry the chances of twins actually hatching are incredibly slim, so to say that you have a good chance with chicken eggs is very misleading. There are many reasons a normal egg wont hatch, and when setting a double yolker you have each of those reasons X2 for each of the embryos plus all the issues that go along with there being two babies in the same egg. Even when the egg is very large providing ample room for twins to develop it is more common for only one to hatch alive rather than both of them.

Edit for spelling mistake

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by