Yikes! Pullet still on starter laid an egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by katsplanet, Jul 31, 2013.

1. katsplanet

katsplanet New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    I am new to BYC and caring for chickens. I have 4 pullets 19 weeks EE and Speckled Sussex
    16 week Barred Rock and Silver Lace.
    I was surprised this afternoon with an egg. It's small and light brown. The nesting boxes were closed so the egg was by the coop under a tree. I have no idea who laid the egg.

I have all 4 of them on King starter that is GMO free. I live in Northern CA and need a suggestion for layer that is GMO free ( no corn no soy) preferably . My local feed doesn't have much variety.

I figured that the extra protein the starter provides was good for them but now I realize that it may of spend up their development. :(

Can I leave them on the starter and just provide oyster shells for calcium?

2. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    I would say definitely give them oyster shells for calcium and layer feed has extra protein too so I wouldn't worry about that just make sure your starter isn't medicated. That's all I can say as I don't wish to hinder your progress in any way.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. hamzaahvalli

hamzaahvalli Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    Its normal.different breeds have different maturity time so yours is normal.i would advise you to change their feed with higher calcium content

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by