Yikes! Rooster Trouble Times Three

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ilovechickens, Jul 27, 2008.

1. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    I am in a bit of a pickle. I have a Buff Cochin Rooster in a run with four Buff Cochin Hens, and 3 Amercauna Hens. Next to him, is a Beautiful Golden Laced Cochin Bantam with his two hens, (those three are 19 weeks old) and next to them are my four Golden Lace Polish females, my Red Frizzled Bantam Rooster, and two Red Frizzled Bantam girls, they are also 19 weeks old. All three groups are separated by fencing, and all have their own houses in one big house. Now my problem [​IMG] is that the Golden Lace Polish are getting attacked by the Bantams, they are getting stressed out [​IMG] and all of the roosters are beginning to be more aggressive even though they can't get at each other. I feel that there is only one answer, and that is to move the Polish Buff girls into the middle run by themselves since they are always picked on, and to move all of my Bantams into one run on one side of the Polish Buff girls, and keep my Buff Cochin and his girls on the other side of the Buff Polish girls. What is killing me is that I will have to get rid of one of my Bantam Roosters, and they each have their own awesome qualities, I feel that I need to keep the one that is more mature, and that is my Golden Laced Cochin Bantam, he crows, and is protective of his flock, the other guy does not crow, and seems a little behind. HELP !! I don't know what to do, but something has to be done to protect the Polish Lace Buffs, my husband is rolling his eyes at me, because he built three separate houses and runs for all three:he I need feed back!!!!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Put up a blind along the fence between them. About 24 inches high might work.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

We had "issues" with our neighboring roos as well. They would fight through the fencing untill they were bloody. I took several panels of metal roofing, and lined the fenceline. THis works well....especially with the smaller breeds.
    Hope this helps.

4. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    Thanks for the ideas, I will try that, but any suggestions about the Buff Polish and the Roosters being very cruel to them because they will not submit?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by