1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yikes these little ones are handful!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jochickenlady, Mar 16, 2017.

1. jochickenlady

jochickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I've raised chicks, they are sweet, they get gross but they are very social. I had one duckling as a rescue, brooded him with the chicks, no worries.
    So this spring I got 3 female Pekin to be "wives" of my Pekin drake. All I have to say is "wow", I'm exhausted. They are smart, way smarter than chickens. They cry and are much needier. I felt comfortable leaving my chicks alone at home in their brooder during the day(with a lunch check in) after 5 days. I'm on day 3 and they feel like colicky children. Won't go down to sleep at night if they hear talking, over tired and peeping.
    I love the "billing" love nibbles, like toddlers putting everything in their mouth. They figured out the cell phone, freakin loved mirrors.
    I'm just a little overwhelmed

at the neediness.[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    They look adorable. Mine have never been that noisy/needy. They get excited when they hear my voice and will carry on for a few minutes or till i give them treats. But then they settle down quicky. I do love how they interact more than chicks. And i agree the nibbling, and there cute little bills are to adorable. I have 13 right now. The hardest part to keep up with for me is around the waterer. Its impossible to keep dry!! Haha. But they are worth it all! 3 of mine are 2 1/2 weeks and the other 10 are 1 1/2 weeks. I just got them moved to the coop / brooder a couple days ago. And they love it. And its huge so i can go sit in there with them. They fall asleep on my legs and love sleeping next to me:)

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Haha.....Yes, I call them feathered Puppies....;).......They are very smart.....They look to you as Momma Duck and can be very demanding when they are small.....Soon they out grow the demanding stage as long as you do not come running every time they cry.....They also will be scared of the dark once you turn off the brooder lamp....They grow so fast that in no time at all they will be easier to deal with.....

So cute...;).......Enjoy those babies......

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by