Yikes they have gotten I loud

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lbsimm, Aug 28, 2014.

1. lbsimm

lbsimm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    I've had the 4 chickens almost six months now and goodness two of them are so loud lately I worry the neighbors will freak out. One neighbor somehow doesn't hear them she says but I haven't checked with the other neighbor who is on the chicken side. Ugh they sound like roosters to me

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Have they started laying? If they are for sure hens you may be hearing the egg song, which fortunately only occurs once a day from each hen that lays an egg that day. Some hens don't sing the egg song, but most do.

3. lbsimm

lbsimm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    Yes they have been laying for about a month now. Yikes that's the egg song huh and more than one will jump in and sing. I have checked before and found an egg although today it started before the laying had happened. Do they do it for each other?

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep. Some of the other times they are loud....

When there is indeed a rooster in the flock, mine have crowing competitions [​IMG]
    When a predator (real or imagined in their little brains) is around.
    When something is changed in their coop or run. I recently had a support board fall down in my run, not for the first time. The chickens refused to come out of their coop, even though they have seen that board down before, and just stood at the pop door carrying on. Thankfully I have no close neighbors.

This is by no means a complete list of why they get loud, but most of the time the noise is short-lived.

FYI - the explanation for the egg song that has always made the most sense to me...
    A hen will usually sing the egg song as she is running away from her newly laid egg. This is a throwback to their wild days and is her way of saying "follow me (predator) and leave my nest alone".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by