Yikes? They're not going in!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by welman, Jul 22, 2008.

1. welman

welman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Newbie here...

We built a chicken ark...lovely. let the chicks out into the bottom today via the ramp. They haven't gone back up it yet and it's starting to get late. OK only 7 PM, but i'm starting to panic. Is there some way to lure them up other than me laying on the ground trying to corral them???

Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    can you get a light in there somehow?

That might do the trick.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    First, WELCOME!!

Personally, I'd let them be - heck, I probably couldn't get in there myself to get them up the ramp either. If they are secured in the tractor run then they should be OK and will learn eventually it's nicer to roost inside the roosting space than on the grass.

Of course, you could do what I usually do in that situation - find a small child to go in there and shoo their fluffy bottoms up the ramp! That would speed up the learning process.

4. welman

Jul 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    This forum is one of the most welcoming places I've ever been! ( and I work in an elementary school!) Thanks for replying, I feel better that someone is around to hear my panic!

The light is on inside and I may shove my son under there and see what he can do!!

Cheers!

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Yeah....that's why I have so many kids - I've got one of whatever size I might need for a particular job.

It's like having a set of screwdrivers - you never know which one is the best size for the job... [​IMG]

6. welman

Jul 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    success...45 minutes and a pink ball scoop and I WIN! 6 chicks snug in their coop!

7. maine egg man

maine egg man Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2008
    maine
    had the same issue when i was trying to teach my little one to go up into the coop, used my 3 year old grandson to scopp them up and show them the way they learned by the third night

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by