1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Yikes - We're all wet!! Action required????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SB Austex, Jun 29, 2010.

1. SB Austex

SB Austex In the Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Austin
    First big Texas thunderstorm has shown the weaknesses in our coop/run set up. It may be predator-proof, but the entire run is wet - draining quickly but up to a few inches deep when the downpour is at it's heaviest (the tarp covering part of the run is filling and dumping). There is also some light leaking in the roof of the coop. All the chooks are damp (some more than others) and they are all 7-9 weeks old. The outside temperature has been in the 90s every day and 70's at night.

So here is the question: Current inside coop temp is still above 75, do I need to worry about the chickens being sort of wet for a while? It most likely will NOT drop out of the 70's even over night.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    We have the same temps as you SB Austex....day and night. We've been getting the typical afternoon t-storms every day for the past week and half. My chickens are fine and so will yours. Mine love to be out in the rain after it slacks off some,looking for bugs I guess. My problem is the dirt in their pen is getting washed out and ruts are forming. Mine is partially covered like yours. Each time after the gully washers are done, I have to wheelbarrow in dirt from my shrinking dirt pile to fill in the ruts and washed out dirt. We need a month of sunshine to dry things out. You might want to buy a thicker tarp and put it on the roof of your chicken house. Dont get the thin cheap ones, you'll be replacing it within 6 months. The thick tarp on on my chicken house roof has lasted over 2 years without any leaks.

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    They should be okay, but I'd be worried about mold.

4. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    They will be fine, they will probably welcome the rain. And [​IMG] from your neighbor in San Antonio

5. SB Austex

SB Austex In the Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Austin
    Thanks. We'll definitely need to tweak the set up roof/tarp-wise. It may be tough to get a break and figure out the fix for a day or so though.

It'll be hot and dry quickly enough I'm not too worried about mold. I was just worried about them staying damp for a while. Low temps aren't supposed to get below mid 70's all week though.

@ Texas Star - are y'all getting some of this downpour, too?

6. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:Just a little last night and early morning, but I love how the weather has cooled off. Every year, the summer heat makes me want to run to Alaska.

7. SB Austex

SB Austex In the Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Austin
    According to a neighborhood rain gauge, we got more than 3-1/2 inches this afternoon in about 3 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: