Yikes!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by piccolini, Feb 12, 2011.

1. piccolini

piccolini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Camino, CA
    Every morning around 7:00 AM I let my chickens out to free range- it is light out by then. Today when I went out, everything was normal, I let the birds out and went into the barn to feed the horses. While I was in there I heard a commotion outside and a bunch of my hens came running into the barn. There was a coyote chasing them and he almost followed them into the barn. He only stopped when he saw me. Has anyone else had a coyote out in the daytime? Is there anything I can do to keep him from coming back?

2. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:That yote is just looking for a pre bedtime snack. Those things are out after sunrise and before sunset when they are hungry, etc ....

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I see coyotes sometimes when walking my daughter to the bus stop in the morning. Whenever we see one I comment, "Must have been poor hunting last night." They are still floating around after dawn when they had no dinner from the previous night.

4. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    When I lived in East Texas, we seen coyotes all the time. Our neighbor had some deep grass one weekend, and i was out on my porch. I seen them jumping through the grass and playing with each other. It was probably about 5:30 in the late Spring, early Summer.

5. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    I've seen lone coyotes out in broad daylight, once right here in the Metromess of Dallas, right off I30, very late morning I believe. The other was at the farm two pastures from our place, probably between 4 p.m. or 5:30 p.m. I believe it was overcast that day, so maybe the coyote thought it was later than it really was.

6. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    We see coyotes in broad daylight all the time, someone forgot to tell them to read the Coyote handbook!!!

7. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:I agree. In Our part of Kentucky we see coyotes passing through at all times of the day,even at noon with full sun. As long as they keep moving we let them be. If they are snooping around the barn or hen house it's "Ruger Time".

Larry

8. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Quote:I agree. In Our part of Kentucky we see coyotes passing through at all times of the day,even at noon with full sun. As long as they keep moving we let them be. If they are snooping around the barn or hen house it's "Ruger Time".

Larry

Yup, pretty much, unless the bears are around, then the yotes tend to disappear for awhile.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    when I used to walk mornings near the wooded areas. I would almost always see a lone coyote - not the same one. One day three deer shot past me, small, medium and large. I wondered what scared them like that - looked back and a lone coyote thought he'd get lucky. I doubt that he did. Always saw them in broad daylight.

One dead near the grocery parking lot (suburban area) . it was very large and long beautiful hair .Walked around thinking someone's collie got hit by a car but the face was plainly coyote. Always wondered if it was a coy dog or someone's pet coyote - because it was well filled out and the coat looked like one on a show dog.

I haven't seen any in the past 1 1/2 or 2 years tho the neighbors across the street said they have seen them often when walking their dogs. Have also seen lots of raccoons, oppossums and fox running in and out of people's yards (we have a forest preserve at one end of the block) in daylight. It's not that easy to chase them off either. They act like the own the place.

10. piccolini

piccolini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Camino, CA
    Thanks everyone.
    I've been leaving my dog out as much as possible in the hope he will scare him away. He looked well fed so I'm hoping he is getting something from somewhere else because I havn't lost any of my hens. (Hope I didn't just jinx them [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by