Yikes!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Portia, May 14, 2008.

1. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    We heard this noise not dissimilar to cat fighting out side, but it was up in the trees out in the woods. I took a flashlight onto the deck and located 4 juvenile racoons scuffling in one of the tall oaks. They were outside the fenced yard, but I still thought immediately about the chickens...that was until the dogs took note and went barreling out the door and over to the fence nearest the tree. Its been over an hour now and my little beagle mix has been outside 4 times to patrol and my greyhound 2x. Good dogs, keep it up! They have a dog door, so they can come and go between the house and the yard as they please. The chickens coop is in the yard below the deck...so its close and the dogs monitor it 24/7; still, the thought of racoons makes me edgy.

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    While you was watching the kids play, mama coon was watching you. If your chickens are not locked up tight, she WILL get them.

3. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Oh believe me, they are. The dogs patrol the fenceline regularly, so that gives me some comfort. In fact I think one of them slept out near the coop last night.

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Wish I could find a dog to do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by