Yipee I got my chicks!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by schmoo, May 8, 2007.

1. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    [​IMG] I have never seen anything so cute in all my life. 25 of the little buggers. I ordered pullets (large layers) Some are yellow, some brownish a few black. I didn't order straight run because then you have 50/50 chance on the sex right? I dunno the lady on the phone said 90% pullets.
    They are SO cute. I can't snap a picture yet because everytime I open the little door they try to rush out at me. Ofcourse, cause I'm their MOM now. [​IMG] When my son gets home from school -I'll have him stand gaurd while I snap pics.

The man at the hatchery said they were born this morning. Oh my gosh! I dipped their beak in water to get them drinking, some went for it others were barley awake. I have one crazy little bugger that keeps chirpping and running all over, stepping on the other chicks. She tries to come to me everytime she see's me. Ofcourse nothing is 100% so maybe she's a he. Anyways, I have to go check on them again. I have a feeling I won't be able to sleep tonite without running out to the barn every hour.

Wish me luck that they all stay alive. They are doing great so far. Thanks to all the pros for all the help you give us newbies on here. This site helped me alot.

2. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Wow! How on earth did you get them the same day they hatched?? I wanna order from the same place!

Congrats on your new babies. Please do post pics- we love babies!!

3. schmoo

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Here they are and all are doing GREAT!! I'm keeping a close eye on them and the temp of the brooder tonite. It's outside and temps are 80 out now the coop is a perfect 95 - I have only one light on. I have to turn the other one tonite after dark to keep them warm ovrnight. We are having a blast! THANKS to everyone for your answers and advice! my hubby called me chicken lady today and I was NOT offended LOL!! [​IMG]

oops forgot the pic.........
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Enjoy them!!! They grow bigger by the day. Mine only looked like yours the first day I had them...they're 8 days old now and are flying around everywhere.

Take Care [​IMG]

5. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh how they grow! I can't believe my own reaction to seeing your chicks. I'm new at this and my babies are just 3 weeks old, but I screamed, "Ohhhhhh, I remember when mine were that small!" as if it were 15 years ago. LOL

Enjoy them! It is incredible how quickly they change. Really. Take photos like mad![​IMG]

6. schmoo

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I will -and Thanks!! I will enjoy their tinyness while I can........they are eating, drinking and pooping like mad. It's a good thing I know. Happy tiny minyies I worked so hard today on their future coop -I feel as tired as them. I have my alarm set for 1 am to check the brooder temp and make sure all is well. my hubby thinks I'm nuts. He should remember how I was when we brought home our son LOL! I'm sure I be on tomorrow asking 101 questions.

Gnight- Connie

7. schmoo

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    AF - I was able to get the chicks on the day they hatched because there is a hatchery about 45 miles from my house and I picked them up there. I had no idea when they were born, so I asked and he said probably this morning. It was so cool in there -the whole building was chirping. [​IMG]

8. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    well, how cool is that? i sure wish there was a hatchery so close to me.

then again...maybe it's a good thing there's not...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by