Yippeee! for broodies!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Feathers Acres, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

Yay!, I think I got myself a BROODY! [​IMG]

I went out to go refill my cochins waterer and get them some fresh
    food and I see 2 of my Hens, odd I thought. Because I have 3, and then theres Elvis my Roo. So I search high and low for her and no where to be found. And then I go to get there eggs from there nest box and WHALAA! there she is! (She blends in really well witht eh nestbox LOL) [​IMG] all puffed up sittin' on her eggs. I changed there water and put it in there and she was still sittin' on them. So ill go out in a few and check if shes still sitting. Shes only 27 or 28 weeks old, and already broody. Crazy Cochins LOL [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yippee for you! [​IMG]
    Can I borrow her come springtime? As soon as my brahmas lay an egg they're off the nest like their tails are on fire. (Maybe they are since I don't know what it feels like to lay an egg).
    If my girls keep up this behavior I'll never get accidental chicks! [​IMG]

3. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    my cochins not like that but my Black sex link is.. she lays her egg then sits on it for a while longer moving it around and adjusting it.. taking great care.. I bet she will go broody.. now i need a roo.. LOL

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Are you going to let her hatch some eggs?

I have 3 broody Silkies - I finally gave in and gave them some mixed-breed eggs to hatch.

5. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    i heard it can be bad for a hen to go broody at such a young age. i heard there bodies arent tough enough to handle it

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Perhaps you can let her sit some eggs come spring.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by