1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yippeee!!!! ...wait, bator is full....just won more eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennmom2three, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Jennmom2three

Jennmom2three Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Wichita Falls
    I just won an auction [​IMG] for some silkie splash (8+) and lavender/black bantam cochin eggs (8+)......I have a question though [​IMG].. At some point down the road will I end up with some lavender silkies? I am trying to learn this breeding lingo...[​IMG]

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I dont know but congratulations on your win. I have silkie/showgirls ready to go into lockdown Sunday [​IMG]

3. Jennmom2three

Mar 28, 2010
    Wichita Falls
    My rooster is a naked neck silkie showgirl, he's buff in color...I just love him!! He's the only silkie I have though, well until these eggs get here and hatch!!!!

4. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    These will be my first too. They are partridge colored. From what I've read, everyone just loves them.

5. Jennmom2three

Mar 28, 2010
    Wichita Falls
    Now I really need to get a 2nd bator!! [​IMG]

6. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:Might I suggest a Hovabator or Brinsea????? [​IMG]

7. Jennmom2three

Mar 28, 2010
    Wichita Falls
    which of the two is more user friendly? I am not home to turn em either. Its either get another bator or do a staggered batch....I have newbie eggs that are due to arrive on the 9th or 10th....at that point i'll be half way through with this batch in there now....

8. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Well the Hovabator 1588 w/turner is almost idiot proof (thank goodness for me). I believe the Brinsea's are almost idiot proof too but I don't have one. I just read lots of good things about Brinsea. They both have pros and cons. The Brinsea's only hold 20 eggs while the Hova will hold 42. They both cost close to the same. The Brinseas are easier to disinfect. The rest is personal preference. I love my Hova just because I can get more in it and it is just a tad bit cheaper. Either way you go, you can't go wrong.

9. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Why not just get a Dickey's or a Sportsman and be done with it and quit wasting your money on these toy bators! When I started out years ago I got a LG with an auto turner and was having great hatches. Then I got a fan, then I got quail rails but it was too small and it was hard to start a new batch before the old one was hatched. Started searching CL every day until I found good, used bators and hatchers that were not much more than I had in the LG equiptment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by