Yippie/ spur of the moment adoption!!!#Photo finally of my new silkie

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FortWorthChicks, Jan 2, 2010.

1. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    So I went down to my local organic nursery to get some dirt. I was hoping they had some cheap sand but they didn't. When I explained the reason for wanting the cheap sandy stuff the guy perked up... "So you have some chickens?, do you have a roo?"

I said no and I really dont want one. This nursery keeps chickens free roaming throughout the place and he said they had a silky roo thats been pecked at alot. Awwww...

Last time I told my hubby I was going to get one chicken and came home with five. This time I went for dirt and came home with the sweetist roo I have ever held! I cant wait to think of a name for his fluffy self!

The hens are all bigger than him which makes me happy because I would hate them to suffer.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

If you take advice, I'd quaratine your new roo for 30 days!

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Way to go!!! SAVE THE CHICKENS [​IMG]

4. FortWorthChicks

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    :eek: I didn't, These people take really good care of their chickens, providing hen keeping classes for the local area and I trust that he is healthy as can be. So I trusted them when they advised me that it would be fine to add him in today with my flock.

OH I PRAY!!!!!!!!!! he was right because at this point its too late.!!

5. FortWorthChicks

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I will tell yall I already love him so much haha. I am such a sucker I swear once he was in my arms there was no turning back. lol And I am so glad my husband is so tolerant of my bringing home pets.

6. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I would like to see a picture!

I didn't quarantine mine because I said, what's the point if I'm going to be showing them anyways??

Mine aren't kept together, they free range though...

7. FortWorthChicks

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I am pretty new to this so I cant figure out how to even make an avatar... I wish I could. sorry :S

8. Farmer Benjii

Farmer Benjii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Vic, AUS
    c'mon! u know what we wanttt!!!!!!!!!! Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Hozer

Hozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Homer, Alaska
    A woman gave me 2 polish bantam hens that were getting beat up by her rooster. When she checked them they were infested with lice. She treated them once. I quarantined them and treated them for lice twice. My birds don't have lice and I hope to avoid them in the future. Quarantining also gave them a chance to feather back up and fatten up before I introduced them. Now I get a cute little white egg just about every day.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  10. FortWorthChicks

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Thanks for the lice advise! As it happened the reason I went for the sandy dirt was to mix some ashes and some (DE) Could have that wrong but im sure you know what I mean.. so today was the old making sure everything is clean and that included putting a little in the dirt as well as in the fresh coop shavings.

I do wonder if I have to put it on them directly or if they will just dust it on themselves like they normally do with their dirt baths as I have not ever treated for parasites before now [​IMG] I just kindof made them natural dirt baths without the DE. I think they should enjoy it just as much as normal .... at least I hope so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by