Yoga for Senior Doggies

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by EmmyGirl, Nov 23, 2008.

1. EmmyGirl

EmmyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    Skippack, PA
    Hey, for any of you out there who have older dogs and hardwood floors, I have two words for you-- yoga mats!! We live in an old house with all hardwood floors, just a few area rugs. We have an older Great Dane with amazingly slippery paw pads--once his feet start slipping on the wood floors, forget it. He loses all confidence and panics and won't move, or even worse, he's taken a few hard spills. I tried towels on the floor but they're still slippery if he steps on them at the wrong angle. Then it hit me, I had an old (never used [​IMG]) yoga mat tucked away in our coat closet. Gives him a soft grippy surface he can walk on with no problems. It's amazing, like a magic trick for his confidence. Even with wet feet, he's surefooted as a goat!!
  2. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    I would have never thought of that. Thats a great idea. If I was still speaking with my parents I would tell them that. But then again they haven't taken their dog into the vet since she was a pup and got fixed. She is now 13. Makes me mad as heck. I have offered to take that poor dog in many times even whe nI was working for a vet and I got turned down. Anyway, wonderful idea [​IMG]
  3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Great idea - thanks for the tip!
  4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    That's a great idea, and you can toss them in the laundry tub when they get muddy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by