Yogurt as a chicks first treat- noone likes it?

Texas Fluffy Feet

Songster
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Arlington, TX
I know I read somewhere on here in the vast numbers of posts and information on how plain yogurt with live cultures mixed with chick starter made such a great first treat for chicks. my little ones definitely know what food is so since they are stuck indoors in the brooder due to icky weather I decided to give them a treat. I mixed the yogurt and chick starter in a small bowl familiar to them and even tried what another poster said and put little globs on the wall of the brooder. I had the camera ready because I just knew this would provide all of 5 minutes worth of entertainment for me and the chicks as the devoured the new treat.

There are 5 chicks total and they eyed me as I put the treat in their home. They eyed the treat, then they totally ignored it. Every single one of them. I waited and waited, nothing. Not a single chick wanted to try it. After an hour I gave up and took out the bowl and wiped off the walls. I threw a little sparkly cat ball toy in there and they have been playing with that.

I guess maybe I could try the boiled egg yolk next as a treat. I want to make sure whatever I give them has lots of nutrition, any other suggestions on what makes the best first treat?

The first time I put some in for my chickies I put it on plastic container lids with color, blue and red, to get their attention and I just walked away and left them alone for hours, also I put a dusting of chick starter on top. I think the colored lids help make them currious enought to check it out then get into it!
sly

Sory the yogurt/crumbles mix didn't work for your chickies. Mine were so curious about everything they instantly went for what I put on the walls. They are 5 weeks old now and the ones still in the house (still have 10 I'm watching)automatically look on the walls of the tub they are in for "goop"when they hear the door open to their room. I was out of yogurt or two days and they missed it.I guess they are all different and mine had been looking for something to do so they were ready to give it a try. They are hilarious.
gig.gif

Well, maybe I will try it again in a day or two with the colored lid technique. I know yogurt is good for them in many ways. My bunch has had the joy of getting out in the yard for 3 days in a row. The weather was to cool and damp today so I thought the new food would give them a pick me up. The little shiny cat toy has done the trick though for now so the treat can wait I guess.
Thanks for the ideas!

live culture yogurt is offered to my birdies freechoice from day one of hatch... birds will often avoid "new"feed or treats (it is why you should slowly introduce the grower and layer as they mature with their "old" feed or they will often avoid it)

yogurt is the first treat i fed my chicks and they still love it............though they like cottage cheese better..........i put a little in a bowl and within seconds it is gone..........not even flung around anymore.

Just like anything else they have to learn it is food. None of my birds have ever just attacked food and loved it. I had to teach them what to eat. Now they know when my hands come in they will come baring food. LOL

You should go ahead and try the boiled egg yolk, That seemed to be their favorite to me.
Others said oatmeal too, but mine wasn't crazy about that, but want nuts over the egg yolk.

Back
Top Bottom