Yogurt as a treat

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by polishchickens111, Jul 11, 2011.

1. polishchickens111

polishchickens111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    My chicks did the funniest thing today. We gave them yogurt for the first time. Eventually, one tried it. She tasted it for a second, and then screeched and wiped her beaks in the shavings. Will they get used to it?

2. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine never did. I tried yogurt several times and got the same reaction. Some people's chicks on here love the stuff.

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    The first time I gave it to them and had a positive reaction, I had mushed in a hardboiled egg. Ever after, it was a riot when the dish went down. They still wipe their beaks though. Was that the first mushy thing they ever ate? Mine had that reaction the first few times they ate strawberries, and now it's mayhem.

4. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Yogurt is my girls absolute favorite treat-they are 12 and 13 weeks old. They were wary of it at first too. [​IMG] They still wipe their beaks every time! [​IMG]

5. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    mine love it too!

6. polishchickens111

polishchickens111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    Quote:This was their first treat, a lot of people reccomended yogurt so we put a dish down. At first they ignored it, except for stepping in it. [​IMG] Then 2 of them ate ate it and rubbed their beaks, which of course inspired all of them to rub their beaks. I put some on my finger and they politley sampled it, but they weren't thrilled.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  7. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    It sometimes takes them a few tries before they accept something different. Mine were so funny the first time they tried it. They were like "blech!!" Now they love it.

8. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    The only time I tried yogurt for the chicks all they did was walk around in it and stare at it. I tried sprinkling some dried oatmeal on top (one of their favorite treats) which got a few to peck at it. When I checked back in a little bit later the paper plate was a filthy mess. I couldn't tell whether they had actually eaten any or just tracked it all over the place. Perhaps I should be patient and try again.

9. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    the beak wiping cracks me up!! you'd think they're all neat and tidy or something.

10. henovergal

henovergal Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Our girls are coming up on four weeks of age. Today was their second time with yogurt. It was 'circle the wagon' event for a bit, but they appeared to enjoy it. (They were also served 'home-grown' strawberry pieces.) Our parrots absolutely love the stuff and wipe their beaks every time they eat it. My interpretation of that behavior is they are just cleaning their beaks. [​IMG]

d

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by