1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yogurt for babies...how much?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BethESH, May 8, 2009.

1. BethESH

BethESH Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all -

I was given the suggestion that I give my babies yogurt to help with pasty butt - it seemed to work, thank you very much!

The babies - nine days old now - absolutely LOVE the yogurt. How much is it safe to give them?

Thanks!
    Beth

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When I had 18 chicks, I fed them about 1/2 a cup, a few times a week.
    Now that I have 15 grown chickens I give them 1/2 a pint at a time, once or twice a week.

3. BethESH

Thanks Gritsar -

So am I overdoing it by giving my 12 babies about 3 tablespoons every day?

4. rschunk

rschunk Out Of The Brooder

How do you feed yogurt to little chicks? Just putting it in a puddle on the brooder floor doesn't seem right somehow...how about in a plastic tub?

5. Peeplperson

Peeplperson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Napa
    I've been dipping my finger in the yogurt (thick Greek kind) and letting them eat off my finger. Wouldn't try it if I had a manicure though!

6. BethESH

I got one of those bases for a quail waterer...I just scoop a couple of soup spoonsful into it. It gets scrubbed every evening.

So funny to watch one baby step in it, fling her foot, and have the others peck at the side of the plastic bin trying to get it ...okay, so it's a game for ME!!!

Have a terrific weekend!
    Beth

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Three or four tablespoons sounds find to me. I used a certain small bowl to feed treats when my chooks were little. They learned to recognize that bowl real quick.

8. Stamper

Stamper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    So how early is it ok to start giving yogurt?

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I started giving it to them at 10 days old. Others start earlier.

10. Ravenna

Ravenna Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    SLO County, California
    My chicks wanted nothing to do with yogurt when I put it into a dish and all they did was run into it and kick shavings to make a yogurty mess. I observed one slipping into it and kicked a few drops into the side of their brooder and they went insane. So, I took my finger and swiped it on the side and they went nuts eating it. They were pecking a storm! They are 5 days old, so I'm doing tiny amounts; however, I'm hoping when they are older they will want to eat from the dish. [​IMG] But seems like they are having fun this way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by