Yogurt for baby chicks?! (Medicated/Non-medicated feed?)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmergal, Jul 21, 2008.

1. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Hi y'all,

I'm new to the forum and first I just want to say THANKS! There's so much information and so many helpful people here, it's just amazing.

Next: I'd kinda hoping to give my chicks (first time owner! Aug. 20! I'm so excited!!) non-medicated feed, but I'm worried about the worms and diseases they can contract. I read somewhere (Storey's chicken manual I think) that you can feed them yogurt to help give them healthy bacteria to fight off parasites and disease.

How many of you use non-medicated feed, and has it worked or have you had problems? Anybody tried yogurt? How much yogurt do you give them? Any other foods that help fight disease that I should know about?

Thanks so much!
    -L

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    I use apple cidar vinegar but I don't know about using it on baby chicks or not. 1 T per gallon of water.

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Don't know if I'm supposed to but I've used ACV on all my batches of chicks after the first week of having them...Before that it was sugar water for a few days, plain for a few, and then electrolites for a few...ACV after that. Hasn't hurt them any yet. Hope it never does, Id feel awful.

4. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Cthrash -- What's ACV? Thanks!

5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    It's apple cider vinegar...Read in one of my many chicken books that it's good for the chickens all around health and well being. So it goes in their water every day.

ETA: By the way when I first started reading on this forum it took me forever to figure out what ACV was...I thought it was some kind of vitamin supplement or something.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  6. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

The medicated feed for chicks is to help protect them against against coccidiosis. Baby chicks are especially susceptible to this, and the mortality rate is high.

Apple cider vinegar won't protect against it. The medicated feed only needs to be fed to one's chicks for 4 weeks or so; then the feed can be switched gradually to a non-medicated grow feed.

I fed my chicks medicated feed and highly recommend it to all.

Carla

1 person likes this.
  7. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    Quote:Right, ACV only "prevents" some types of worms. It's more of a preventative instead of a cure.

8. JessicaGrant

JessicaGrant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Western Mass
    One of my girls had bloody poop when we first got her and I was worried but didn't want to medicate so I gave her some plain yogurt and it cleared up and never spread to my other two. I'm obviously not a doctor...or even an experienced chicken owner...and don't want to give bad advice, but that was my experience.

9. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    The yogurt intrigues me but how do you feed it to them? I tried it on a plastic jar lid but they just walked over and in it and never tasted it.

10. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    When I gave it to mine the first time I put it in a flat bottomed container (sushi take out) and sprinkled some of their regular feed (chicken granola!) in it so they know it's for eating. I would start with just a little so it doesn't shock their systems and gradually build up to more as they get bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by