Yogurt For Treat ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mrszlopez, May 14, 2011.

1. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    I know i can give the chickens plain yogurt as a treat, but i have lots of left over "fruit-on-the-bottom" kind of yogurts & was wondering if i could give that to them. Just want to be sure !

2. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    I dont think the "sweeteners" are good for them. However with that being said my daughter has given them some of her leftovers and they were fine.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I do feed mine all kinds; some are healthier than others but I figure that if we eat them, then I can tolerate the birds finishing the container. I have started making our own home made yogurt (recipe under homemade yogurt) and so use less sweetened grocery store types. This is what I do; others may have a different opinion.

4. mrszlopez

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    My older girls would get almost all dinner scraps from inside, with the exception of anything spicy or sour. The ones I want to give the yogurt to are only 3wks old, so im more concerned with giving it to them. I was going to scoop the plain stuff off of the top & leave the sweet in the container. Just dont want them to get sick from it [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As an occasional treat it's fine, like when you have some that's fixing to go out of date. Just not the kind you want to purposely buy for them. The artificial sweeteners and/or sugars in them aren't good the chickens. Come to think of it, they aren't all that great for us humans either. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  6. mrszlopez

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    Quote:I will definitely agree with them not being good for us either.you think itll be okay if i just scoop off the top ? thanks for your input [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I will definitely agree with them not being good for us either.you think itll be okay if i just scoop off the top ? thanks for your input [​IMG]

Yes [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by