Yogurt frenzy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by olivesmom, May 6, 2008.

1. olivesmom

olivesmom Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    I felt like I was at Saks and they had just announced they were giving away a free pair of Jimmy Choos ...

The chicks went wild! They could not get enough. The funny thing is that the new chick "Beginning" was the only one brave enough and smart enough to really figure it out. Olive and Rocco Mae kept trying to get it from her even though the dish was right there .... It was like they thought she was magic! Fianlly, they all figured it out. At that point Rocco Mae jumped in it.

I only put out about 2 table spoons and had to put a little food on it to get even Beginning interested but once they started they were off! They thought it was heavenly! Pecking it off each others beaks. Eating any they dropped on the floor. Wiping their little beaks clean. cute, cute, cute! I ended up taking it away after about 1 table spoon because it was getting messy.

How much yogurt should they be eating? I read that they won't over eat ... Yogurt included?

Thanks,
    Charlotte

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That's cute! I'm glad they liked it. [​IMG]

I tried some yogurt with my 7 week-old RIR's two days ago and they were quite offended. They each tried it out a few times and then kept wiping their beaks in the wood chips to clean them off. After that, they all looked at me like, "Are you crazy?!?!" [​IMG]

3. TitiBebbs

TitiBebbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    How old are your chicks? We have some brand new one's and Mom makes her own yogurt. I wasn't prepared for the hatchlings yet (not for a couple more weeks, I thought) and haven't bought any chick starter. I've got game fowl starter but that's not medicated. We had a guinea and a couple ducklings hatch, but the chicks weren't due yet. Would yogurt be okay for them?

I got the sugar water but they didn't seen to understand it, even after dipping beaks, so I dipped my fingers and let them peck it from there as I guided their little beaks to the cup (cut off paper cup with marbles) to drink. Oh then did the party begin. I can only imagine what some nice fresh yogurt would do.

4. olivesmom

olivesmom Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    I have no idea if yogurt would be a good idea. I am new at this!

Mine are on it because I lost one and thought the others were sick and freaked out and started them on antibiotics ... the yogurt is to manage the antibiotics.

I am sure someone with more info would help but you may beed to start a new thread with a questions such as "babies arrived early can they eat yogurt?" then give info like how many days old they are etc.

Good luck,
    Charlotte

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    hehehehehe cook oatmeal for them one morning...use the following steps:

1. Cook oatmeal
    2. place in bowl
    3. Blow on it slightly so it is warm
    4. Place bowl in brooder, and
    5. MOVE and move fast!