Yogurt, good for chicks, bad for you!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zengrrl, Apr 8, 2011.

1. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    So one of my chicks is a scissorbeak and I worry she's not getting enough good protein. So after I read yogurt is a good treat I put some on a saucer and put it in with them. Of course they thought it was an alien saucer and ran screaming from the corner. When I came back alittle while later there was a sort of chick/yogurt wrestling match going on. Omg, everyone needed a bath but dare I say a good time was had by all...well until the bath. Now they all think I'm the devil again.[​IMG]

2. Momoflilgs

Momoflilgs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    The mental picture of chickens covered in yogurt is hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I just eat most of the cup then scrape what is left out with my fingers my babies eat my fingers LOL

4. Watermelon_Gypsy

Watermelon_Gypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    I love how cute chickens & chicks are lol The mental image of them running away from the alient plate makes me laugh. SO glad they had a fun time! How did you bathe them?

btw your siggy about chicken math - yea, that's totally us too [​IMG]

5. cmtigger

cmtigger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    I have some yogurt in the yogurt maker tonight. Maybe the chicks will get a treat of some tomorrow. [​IMG]

6. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    I was hoping to see a picture of yogurt slathered chickies! [​IMG]
    I tried yogurt and mine said "YUCK!" and were wiping their beaks off! It was pretty funny too.

7. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    zengrrl great story and well told, I could picture those poor little terrified chicks fleeing that horrible alien monster plate! I was waiting too for some pics of the yogurt wrestling! too funny~

8. khoracek

khoracek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I heard that yogurt was good too. I gave some to mine this morning but they wouldn't even look at it with me there. I left it in there and I'll see if it's gone on my return.
    How did you bath your little ones? Maybe this wasn't such a great idea:rolleyes:

9. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Lol..I was in too much of a panic to think about grabbing a camera. Imagine mostly silkie chicks (one Polish) running through the yogurt, and then food, poo and what else. It was like silkies covered in glue it was awful. I pretty much just rinsed them off under the warm faucet, quick rubdown with a wash cloth and then lowered the heat lamp alittle bit. Everyone survived.

As far as the chicken math, I have a farmer that owes me $20 and I'm fighting the urge to cash that in in chicks right now. I do have an extra lamp now...hmmm. When you lose one its so devastating only 3 more will make it better. 7 is such an uneven number!

10. leanna1017

leanna1017 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    My hens go nuts for yogurt. I feed them plain greek yogurt once a week. They also like strawberries but when I mixed the strawberries and yogurt they were less than impressed. Pic of yogurt faces are on my BYC page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by