Yogurt making - dual purpose incubator

galanie

Treat Dispenser No More
13 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Ruffin, NC
I've found that my incubator is perfect for making the kind of yogurt that needs a yogurt maker for (there is one culture that makes at room temp - but most need heat). I should turn up the temp for making yogurt since it's supposed to be made around 105F but I don't, and it comes out fine.

That is really smart! My usual yogurt making method: I line the bottom of a cooler with a bath towel, pour hot water all over the towel, settle my pint sized mason jars in, and add two or three quart sized mason jars filled with really hot tap water, and nestle them in amongst the pint jars of yogurt. Pull the towel up around the jars, so they are covered completely, and shut the lid. I leave it to set for about 7 hours, sometimes longer. Perfect yogurt every time as long as you don't move the cooler. That cooler gets jostled even once before it firms up...liquid yogurt no matter how long you leave it in there!

My incubators sitting..and I need another batch of yogurt tomorrow... think I'll give THAT a try! How long do you keep it in the bator for?

My fat free, sugar free yogurt recipe:
8 cups fat free milk
1/2 cup yogurt at room temp (from my last batch, sometimes from store bought plain)
1/2 cup dry milk (I do not always add this but it gives it a nice thicker texture)
3/4 splenda (we sometimes use more, the family prefers it pretty sweet)
1 tsp vanilla.

Slowly bring milk to 180 degrees, stirring as needed to prevent scalding and milk skin from forming.
Remove from heat and allow to cool to 110 degrees, no less than 95!

Stir in dry milk and splenda, I whisk it in to ensure its mixed properly.
Stir in vanilla and room temp yogurt, again, I whisk it to make sure its properly mixed.

Using canning funnel and pint mason jars, fill each jar, leaving a one inch gap below the neck of the jar.
Fill all jars (usually I fill 3 pint jars and one, 1/2 pint jar) then wipe rims, and put on lids. Hand tighten.

Add to cooler as stated above.

=================

But....I can't wait to try this in the incubator tomorrow!!

I just keep it in there till it's done - usually 6 hours.
smile.png

I make it without any sugar or flavoring and add that afterwards. I eat it a lot of different ways and even give the girls some from time to time. Oh, and I don't put lids on, I just put a coffee filter on the top with a rubber band. That way it can breathe. Then the cap goes on when it's finished.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom